Irrigation/Hardie manual valve

Question
In my irrigation system there is a Hardie valve downstream of the pump, before the indexing valve, that looks something like a pressure regulator, it has a small sensing line that appears to go to the line going to the pump inlet.  The valve has 2 handles, one larger and one smaller, on the valve stem; there is no solenoid.  I can't seem to find any information as to the purpose of this valve.  I have looked at other systems utilizing indexing valves and don't see similar valves.  My well does have fairly good artesian pressure.  Could you provide any insight as to its purpose and/or can I leave it out when I replace the leaking indexing valve?
Thanks.

Answer
Hey Russ, the valve you are refering to is a hydraulic valve. Before the electric automatic valves came out, they had automatic valves that ran hydraulically. You must have a hydraulic controller somewhere. If you disconnect this valve, then you would need to replace it with a new electric automatic valve, and also a new electric controller. Good luck and have a great day.

Irrigation

Jim Schaefer