You are here:

Irrigation/Hardie manual valve


In my irrigation system there is a Hardie valve downstream of the pump, before the indexing valve, that looks something like a pressure regulator, it has a small sensing line that appears to go to the line going to the pump inlet.  The valve has 2 handles, one larger and one smaller, on the valve stem; there is no solenoid.  I can't seem to find any information as to the purpose of this valve.  I have looked at other systems utilizing indexing valves and don't see similar valves.  My well does have fairly good artesian pressure.  Could you provide any insight as to its purpose and/or can I leave it out when I replace the leaking indexing valve?

Hey Russ, the valve you are refering to is a hydraulic valve. Before the electric automatic valves came out, they had automatic valves that ran hydraulically. You must have a hydraulic controller somewhere. If you disconnect this valve, then you would need to replace it with a new electric automatic valve, and also a new electric controller. Good luck and have a great day.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jim Schaefer


Any question regarding sprinking systems,installation,repair, and trouble shooting.


I have been installing and repairing sprinkling systems since I was 15 years old. Have owned my own sprinkler system contracting business for over 26 years. It is basically the only job I've ever done, except for being a paper boy when I was young.

High School diploma and 3 years college credits.

©2017 All rights reserved.