Irrigation/James Hardy RD 600 malfunction

QUESTION: Hi - I have a James Hardy RD 600 which is functioning pretty well.  However, sometimes the water will shut off during a cycle or it won't start a station manually.  Does this have anything to do with water pressure?

ANSWER: Hey Ramona, unless the water pressure is pretty much zero, you should still see some water being delivered from the heads. I would think that the problem could either be in the controller itself, or a problem with one or more of the valves. I would suggest manually turning one valve on at a time, and try to determine if a particular valve is the problem. Good luck and have a great day.

QUESTION: Where are the valves I should turn?  What type of replacement controller would be a good choice ?

Hey Ramona, the valves you would need to find are automatic, and do not really turn on or off by hand, but turn on and off by the controller. Normally they would be down in the ground in a plastic valve box. If you need to replace the controller, replace it with the same controller. James Hardie was bought by Irri-trol, and the new controller is called a Rain dial and it is almost identical to the one you currently have. Good luck and have a great day.

Jim Schaefer

Any question regarding sprinking systems,installation,repair, and trouble shooting.

I have been installing and repairing sprinkling systems since I was 15 years old. Have owned my own sprinkler system contracting business for over 26 years. It is basically the only job I've ever done, except for being a paper boy when I was young.

High School diploma and 3 years college credits.