Irrigation/Nelson SmartZone EZ

I bought a home with a 5 zone outdoor sprinkler system with a Nelson SmartZone EZ controller. The controller is dead. AC in is ok but no indication of function. Tried reset, power down, battery change and no results. I guess I will replace it. Nelson must be out of this product as I can't find it anywhere. I guess I will replace it with another brand. Are they all compatible? Any recommendations?

Hey John, yeah almost all the controllers are compatible. I would suggest installing a
Irri-trol "Rain dial" controller. They come in 6,9,or 12 station controller. They are easy to program and should last a long time. Just make sure when you pull the old field wires off the old controller, that you mark them as you take them off #1,#2 etc. and especially the common (C) wire, and then put them back on the new one exactly as they were taken off the old one. Good luck and have a great day.

Jim Schaefer

Any question regarding sprinking systems,installation,repair, and trouble shooting.

I have been installing and repairing sprinkling systems since I was 15 years old. Have owned my own sprinkler system contracting business for over 26 years. It is basically the only job I've ever done, except for being a paper boy when I was young.

High School diploma and 3 years college credits.