Irrigation/Possessed zone valve

I have 8 zones on my system with an Irritrol controller.  1-4 serve the backyard and 5-8 the front.  The system has been functioning well for two years.  

The problem: Anytime another zone is activated either manually or automatically, zone 7 comes on and runs the full time the other zone is on.  I disconnected the wire for zone 7 at the terminal block and nothing will come on while disconnected.

I have looked for loose connections at the valve and controller but nothing is obvious.  The valve for zone 7 still functions well, i.e. no seepage and opens and shuts well.  It just comes on no matter which valve is receiving current. I have adjusted the time setting to valve 7 to OFF and it has no effect on the situation.

How many stations does your timer hold?

Have you tried to put zone 7 wire into another terminal and to see what happens?

It seems like it is acting like a Master Valve and if the wire is not connected to the MV/COM terminals then it would seem like the zone 7 terminal is malfunctioning.

Please reply when you have a minute.

Robert Diersing

I am able to answer any questions related to lawn irrigation systems and backflow devices. But pumps are not my speciality since they are not common in my area. Most of my product experience is in Hunter, Rainbird and Irritrol components.

I have been in the Irrigation Industry since 1998 with experience in everything from residential to athletic fields, commercial, industrial to complete Hospital campuses

Irrigation Association

I have been quoted in trade magazine articles.

Kent State University 12 CEU's per a year in Industry related classes

Irrigation Association Certifications: Certified Irrigation Contractor State of Florida Licensed Irrigation Contractor State of Florida Certified Backflow Tester State of Ohio Certified Backflow Tester EPA WaterSense Partner

Hospitals, School Districts, National Franchises, Government Agencies