Irrigation/Rain bird esp 6tm Issues

My sprinkler is not turning on from the controller. All the buttons work and the display has the correct data, but the sprinkler system will not turn on.  I have the main valve off at this time and when I turn on the main valve, the sprinklers turn on but they wont turn off without shutting off the main valve again.  We already did the reset by unplugging the unit and removing the batter for 5 min.  This seemed to reset the unit because the time reset but it has not corrected the issue.  I also changed out the battery and the fuse and both have been unsuccessful.  Any help you can provide would be great?

Hey Pauline, so the problem is in the automatic valve itself and probably not the controller. Basically the automatic valve is stuck in the on position, usually this is caused by a defective or old diaphragm in the valve, or a bad solenoid on the valve. What you need to do, is find the defective valve, and either repair it or replace it. Go to, and this website will show you how to rebuild or replace the valve. Good luck and have a great day.

Jim Schaefer

Any question regarding sprinking systems,installation,repair, and trouble shooting.

I have been installing and repairing sprinkling systems since I was 15 years old. Have owned my own sprinkler system contracting business for over 26 years. It is basically the only job I've ever done, except for being a paper boy when I was young.

High School diploma and 3 years college credits.