Irrigation/Sprinkler Controller Eating Batteries

Question
I've got an Irritrol Rd1200. The display began flickering and blinking, the numbers would blink but also flicker rapidly when they're visible.

I replaced the 9v battery and this fixed the issue for a week. I replaced the battery again with the same result. I tested the outlet the controller is using and that's not the problem. So, it's either the wiring/power supply or the controller. Any suggestions on what could be the problem or what I should check next?

Answer
Hey Steve, the problem is in the panel itself, and instead of replacing the whole controller, you can either just replace the panel, or have it repaired. If you hinge the panel out, in the back of the controller you will see a ribbon of wires, that plugs into the back case of the controller. Simply pull the pigtail from the back of the controller, and with the panel at a 90 degree angle from the case, pull straight out, and the plastic pins will release from the hinges on the case. Normally there is a capacitor that starts going out, and if you can find an irrigation supply store in your area, they can either repair or you can buy a replacement panel. If you cannot find an irrigation supply store in your area, I believe if you call Irri-trol directly, they might have a repair service that you can send your panel too to have it repaired. Good luck and have a great day.

Irrigation

Jim Schaefer