Irritable Bowel Syndrome/IBS?

Hi! I have been suffering from a range of different stomach pains. I realize you probably cant diagnose me over the internet but maybe you could help me.

I am 13 and I have these random stomach pains. Some aren't too bad, but some are aweful! I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and get them, or sometimes even at school. I haven't noticed getting these after eating unless I've eaten too much which i usually dont. My 'symptoms' are

Bloated feeling (this doest come much)
Stomach pains
Constapation (this i get but usually can dump within a radius of 1-2 hours)
Cramping feeling
Diarrhea (which doesn't come too often)

I know theres nothing to really treat this but i would like to know if theres the possablity i have this. Thanx for your time:)

Laurel, your symptoms are in keeping with a diagnosis of IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It is diagnosed by a collection of symptoms that you have got and is encompassed in the Rome criteria. You can read more about IBS on my web site, IBS Help Online.

In Irritable Bowel Syndrome,diet is very important with this condition and its important not to eat too much 'junk food'. There are other causes for your symptoms, but I would always advise seeing your doctor to confirm the diagnosis. As you say you can definitely diagnose these problems over the internet.

I hope this helps and please let me know if I can be of any more help.

Good luck!

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Dr Peter Thatcher MBBS, MRCPI. IBS Physician & Gastroenterologist

I can answer questions on all aspects of IBS or the Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Medicine and Gastroenterology. This would include aspects of diagnosis, investigation and management of IBS and other gastroenterology or medical conditions.

I am a Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist in the United Kingdom. I qualified as a physician in 1993 and have been practicing Medicine and Gastroenterology ever since. I regularly run gastroenterology clinics and 1:4 patients have IBS. I am also the web master of IBS Help Online, an Irritable Bowel Syndrome help site.

British Society of Gastroenterology Member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, Cornwall. UK

Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, Fully UK Trained Medical Degree at Kings College School of Medicine & Dentistry 1993 Membership of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland Examinations 1997

MBBS 1993 MRCPI 1997