Irritable Bowel Syndrome/IBS

Question
I have had some problems with IBS in the past, but I find it usually seasonal and it goes away. Anyway, I am having some problems now wherein I am getting cramps and some slight constipation. I am having difficulties in digesting my food and it is difficult for me to have bowl movement. I am trying to avoid certain things, although I don't think it is any food in particular, maybe coffee. I am having some pain in my stomach, and some spasms.
In addition, I am also having some prostate problems as well. So it doesn't help. You can't tell which problem to deal with first.

Answer
Hi Joe, itís interesting that you find your IBS seasonal. Yes, coffee can make IBS symptoms worse and should be avoided along with other caffeine containing drinks such as tea and carbonated drinks. You might well benefit from soluble fiber as this can help with cramps and constipation. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated too. You can read more about IBS diet on my web site, IBS Help Online . Hope this helps!

Peter  

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Dr Peter Thatcher MBBS, MRCPI. IBS Physician & Gastroenterologist