Irritable Bowel Syndrome/IBS

I have had some problems with IBS in the past, but I find it usually seasonal and it goes away. Anyway, I am having some problems now wherein I am getting cramps and some slight constipation. I am having difficulties in digesting my food and it is difficult for me to have bowl movement. I am trying to avoid certain things, although I don't think it is any food in particular, maybe coffee. I am having some pain in my stomach, and some spasms.
In addition, I am also having some prostate problems as well. So it doesn't help. You can't tell which problem to deal with first.

Hi Joe, itís interesting that you find your IBS seasonal. Yes, coffee can make IBS symptoms worse and should be avoided along with other caffeine containing drinks such as tea and carbonated drinks. You might well benefit from soluble fiber as this can help with cramps and constipation. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated too. You can read more about IBS diet on my web site, IBS Help Online . Hope this helps!

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Dr Peter Thatcher MBBS, MRCPI. IBS Physician & Gastroenterologist

I can answer questions on all aspects of IBS or the Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Medicine and Gastroenterology. This would include aspects of diagnosis, investigation and management of IBS and other gastroenterology or medical conditions.

I am a Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist in the United Kingdom. I qualified as a physician in 1993 and have been practicing Medicine and Gastroenterology ever since. I regularly run gastroenterology clinics and 1:4 patients have IBS. I am also the web master of IBS Help Online, an Irritable Bowel Syndrome help site.

British Society of Gastroenterology Member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, Cornwall. UK

Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, Fully UK Trained Medical Degree at Kings College School of Medicine & Dentistry 1993 Membership of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland Examinations 1997

MBBS 1993 MRCPI 1997