Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Kombucha

Question
Hi Doctor
Do you know much about this? I am looking for natural food products to improve my digestion.
Since going Vegan Jan 01, many of my issues have improved, but I still get abdominal distension and some morning nausea, although not as bad.
This is supposed to help. I have tried digestive enzymes, acidophilus and yogurt to no avail. Fennel is OK but the effect sems to wear off after using it for a while.
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Thanks!

Answer
Hello Bud, thanks for getting in touch. There are natural food products that may help your IBS. They are not evidence based, but there have been some reports of benefit with Manuka Honey. This is a honey made from the Manuka bush in New Zealand. It has got some evidence base to it, but mainly for gastroenteritis. You can read more about this on my web site, IBS Help Online.

Another natural product is the Acai Berry. This is a small, purple berry that seems to have taken some prominence. Again, there is no evidence apart from anacdotal reports.

Have you tried an IBS diet? This can often make a difference to your symptoms.

I hope this helps Bud and I wish you all the best.

Peter

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Dr Peter Thatcher MBBS, MRCPI. IBS Physician & Gastroenterologist