Irritable Bowel Syndrome/walking

Question
Dr.
Is there any evidence that walking can relieve IBS, or that those who walk a lot have less IBS?
My symptoms (bloating, nausea) have worsened in the past few years but I assumed it was age (55).
I am doing better now that I am excluding red meat.
Yesterday after a big supper which included some meatloaf my daughter made so I had to have a slice knowing the consequences, I had to get off the couch to relieve the gas and discomfort so I went for a walk.
I felt a lot of relief but had to cut the walk short to get back home to use the bathroom.
This made me remember a few years back to when I did walk a lot as part of my job and my IBS wasny as bad. My present job as a driver is quite sedentary but I do stretch.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Answer
Hi Bud! Yes there is some evidence of exercise benefit in IBS. There was a paper by Lustyk et al (Gastroenterol Nurs.  2001 May-Jun;24(3):129-37) that showed reduced fatigue in those who exercise with IBS and also a reduced feeling of incomplete evacuation. Exercise has always been advocated as a way of dealing with IBS symptoms as well as other IBS lifestyle adaptations and you can read more about this on my web site, IBS Help Online.  

However, too much exercise can also increased diarrhea and is commonly seen in long distance athletes. However, for most of us this isnít an issue. This can also help in Constipation-predominant IBS.

Exercise is good for many conditions as well as a form of secondary prevention for conditions such as hypertension, heart disease, stroke and cancer so I would always recommend it!

Cheers

Peter

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Dr Peter Thatcher MBBS, MRCPI. IBS Physician & Gastroenterologist