Irritable Bowel Syndrome/diet?

Question
my mon was diagnosed with colitis.It seems like there is no special diet for ths.Is it just tracking food and seeing what makes you inflamed and feel sick?What are good foods and any supplements she should be taking?She is 59 and about to get a colonoscopy because of this(i know shes way overdue for one anyways) she was hospitalized with anitbiotic iv and bowel rest for days Any reccomendations?

Answer
You are quite right about diets in colitis. There is no definite concensus on this and I normally recommend a low residue diet, low fiber (in pancolitis) usually. This is very similar to people with IBS and you can read more about this sort of diet on my web site, IBS Help Online.

I hope you mom is on the mend now.

Best wishes

Peter

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Dr Peter Thatcher MBBS, MRCPI. IBS Physician & Gastroenterologist