Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Anal piles & fissures

Hello Doctor
   I have developed severe anal piles & painful fissures after delivery. My baby is 2 months old, breastfeeding so i want to avoid surgery. Can you please tell me how I can get better.
Thanks Warm Regards

Hi Anu, congratulations on your baby and sorry to hear that you are suffering from piles or haemorrhoids. They are so common and can be dealt with in several ways. You need to make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids, avoid coffee, tea and alcohol which ultimately dehydrates. Taking in high fibre foods will help to prevent straining which can make piles worse.

There are topical medications that can be used, mainly creams or locally inserted suppositories usually based on local anaesthetics to reduce pain. If you have a fissure, local ointments such as a Nitrate ointment may help.

It is relatively easy to treat piles without major surgery by either injecting them with sclerosant solution or putting little elastic bands on them. This can be done as an outpatient.

Good luck

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Dr Peter Thatcher MBBS, MRCPI. IBS Physician & Gastroenterologist

I can answer questions on all aspects of IBS or the Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Medicine and Gastroenterology. This would include aspects of diagnosis, investigation and management of IBS and other gastroenterology or medical conditions.

I am a Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist in the United Kingdom. I qualified as a physician in 1993 and have been practicing Medicine and Gastroenterology ever since. I regularly run gastroenterology clinics and 1:4 patients have IBS. I am also the web master of IBS Help Online, an Irritable Bowel Syndrome help site.

British Society of Gastroenterology Member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, Cornwall. UK

Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, Fully UK Trained Medical Degree at Kings College School of Medicine & Dentistry 1993 Membership of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland Examinations 1997

MBBS 1993 MRCPI 1997