Irritable Bowel Syndrome/IBS/Acid Reflux and asthma

I'll spare you the long saga of what I have been through.  In summary, 9/08, I had symptoms of not being able to breathe, pain on chest, food going down slowly, horrible gas, bloating.  Finally a gastroenternologist diagnosed me with acid reflux and ibs (I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy).  He prescribed aciphex and over the course of 3 mos, most of the symptoms went away.  The "hard to breathe" lingered, but I was overjoyed when it finally passed.  Just recently 2/11, the symptoms returned.  I went back to the doctor and he said not being able to breathe is not a "typical" symptom of acid reflux and that I should go to a cardiologist.  He wanted to see me back in three mos and told me to change my diet.  Frantically, I made an appointment that same day and all checked out fine.  I'm not a overweight, but definitely could loose 10lbs.  So I did.  I lost weight, stopped all caffeine, exercised, drank alot of water.  Did all the right things.  All seemed to slowly go away but soon returned mid-April, 2011.  Out of all the horrible symptoms, the "not being able to breathe well" was the worst.  Now I'm being told that the acid reflux is being triggered by allergies.  I am allergic to trees & pollen (Spring) and ragweed (August/Sept)as I was allergy tested.  Is this possible?  Did you ever hear of such a thing? My intial symptoms did start in the Fall and now its Spring?  I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.  My next doctor is a pulmonologist.  What are your thoughts?

Acid reflux CAN cause breathing issues. There is good evidence for this that acid refluxing can cause bronchospasm and asthma like symptoms such as wheeze. This is the reason why the Aciphex helped you. I'm often refered people diagnosed by ENT due to viewing acid related changes in the back of their throats with breathing issues.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Dr Peter Thatcher MBBS, MRCPI. IBS Physician & Gastroenterologist

I can answer questions on all aspects of IBS or the Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Medicine and Gastroenterology. This would include aspects of diagnosis, investigation and management of IBS and other gastroenterology or medical conditions.

I am a Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist in the United Kingdom. I qualified as a physician in 1993 and have been practicing Medicine and Gastroenterology ever since. I regularly run gastroenterology clinics and 1:4 patients have IBS. I am also the web master of IBS Help Online, an Irritable Bowel Syndrome help site.

British Society of Gastroenterology Member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, Cornwall. UK

Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, Fully UK Trained Medical Degree at Kings College School of Medicine & Dentistry 1993 Membership of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland Examinations 1997

MBBS 1993 MRCPI 1997