Irritable Bowel Syndrome/ibs and gurgling

Hello Heather,
I just recently bought your full ibs kit, but while I'm waiting to receive it I was wondering if you could give me as answer to my problem.

I have been suffering from symptoms for about six years now and I can easily say the worst symptom is the intestinal gurgling. These usually come with an excessive amount of gas and can happen at anytime. But they seem to most often happen after I eat. This is very debilitating to me as I do not know what triggers it or how to treat it. Have you dealt or heard of this before what would be your best advice to me.

A little more background the gurgling is often loud enough to hear and I have many quite situations so it makes it hard to enjoy the silence or even fear silent situations. The feeling that comes with is almost feels like I am holding my breath or walking on egg shells I try to relax but my stomach and intestines wont let me. These symptoms used to be easier to handle as I would only get the gurgles once a month and now it is a daily occurrence.

Thank you so much for your time and I have been tested for so many other intestinal diseases that I am now for sure diagnosed with ibs so all the help I can get would be so helpful thank you so much!

Hi Liz - I'm so sorry for all that you're going through!

GI tract noises (technically known as borborygmi) are normal, but people with IBS do seem prone to excessive amounts. This often happens in association with bloating and gas, which unfortunately seem to be the most difficult IBS symptoms to overcome.

Check here for helpful hints.

Since you can feel that you can't get your gut to relax, you may want to try yoga poses specifically for this problem - start here for poses keyed to symptoms. And if you can take some local yoga classes, that's even better.

If you feel that stress/anxiety are playing a key role in perpetuating this problem, look in to IBS hypnotherapy. That will literally change how your gut functions and results may actually be permanent. Start here and follow the links through the pages - lots of info and this may be a good approach for you.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous

I can address questions regarding diet, cooking, recipes, and non-pharmaceutical supplements (soluble fiber, herbal, probiotics, etc.) for IBS. I can supply information sources about diagnostic guidelines, symptoms, and the medical pathology of IBS, but I cannot give a diagnosis or analyze test results a patient has obtained. I would prefer not to answer questions about prescription drugs and diagnostic tests. PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME YOUR SYMPTOMS AND THEN ASK ME TO DIAGNOSE YOU!

I'm the founder and CEO of, an organization dedicated to serving people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My goal is to offer education, support, and help that allows people with IBS to successfully manage their symptoms through lifestyle modifications.

I'm the author of Eating for IBS, the only explicit dietary guide and cookbook for people with bowel disorders. Eating for IBS then led to my second book, The First Year: IBS, a comprehensive view of the disorder and every way to successfully manage it. Together, these works have become the two best-selling, best-reviewed IBS books in America.

My writing has led to an ongoing Canadian clinical research study of the groundbreaking dietary guidelines for Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Eating for IBS; this work also led to my inclusion in the 4th edition of Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare. Today's Dietitian has featured my IBS dietary guidelines, and my work has reached gastroenterologists and internists. I'm the author of "Heather's IBS Newsletter", which is free to subscribers and is published twice monthly. As a result, I've become recognized as the foremost patient-expert on IBS in America. I've personally had IBS since age 9.

I now teach classes on managing IBS through lifestyle modifications, I developed the Heather's Tummy Care line of organic medical foods for the dietary management of IBS, and I'm planning to work with corporate HR departments to offer employee IBS education programs. I host Heather Cooks!, the Seattle television cooking show for good digestive health, which is now available on DVD and also on the HelpForIBS YouTube Channel.

Help for IBS on Facebook

Help for IBS on Twitter

Amazon Author Profile

Google Author Profile

LinkedIn Profile

IBS Discussions RSS Feed

Heather Cooks for IBS - Watch the Video!

IBS Pinterest Board

Health Grades IBS Interview
Canadian Living Magazine
USA Today
Today's Dietitian
Digestive Health & Nutrition Magazine
Health Magazine
American Airlines In-Flight Magazine

Eating for IBS excerpts and recipes licensed by Novartis Pharmaceuticals

M.A. 1996
B.A. 1992

Inclusion in Marquis Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare

Eating for IBS Finalist for an IACP Julia Child Cookbook Award 2001

Eating for IBS #17 on the Library Journal's Cookbook Bestseller list for 2000