Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Diet

Question
Hi Heather - I have some food issues and I'm wondering how long I need to stay on the initial diet.  I'm allergic to legumes and potatoes, which greatly limit my food sources (although I've had some sweet potatoes recently that didn't upset my stomach - usually diarrhea).  I also have reflux, which Ranitidine helps quite bit. Your peppermint pills are like a miracle drug, for cramping, that work almost immediately until the Dicyclomine kicks in (thanks for that).  Ideally I'd not be taking all of these pills but I'm tired of the downtime that results from the serious cramping. If I eat a meal of the soluble  diet, is it possible to have a glass of wine after?  The cramping bothers me the most.  (I'm used to my system being super irregular and, thankfully, it's not so bad for me that it's limited my travel.) Thanks - Sue

Answer
Hi Susan - are you talking about the "breaking the cycle" diet? That is just meant to stabilize you, and it's so limited it's best to do that for just the first several days. After that you can expand your diet and stay stable.

There are tons of options for soluble fiber staples for you, don't worry - check here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp for a great big long list.

Yes, if you are stable, on a full stomach of soluble fiber foods you may well be able to tolerate a glass of wine. I'd wait till you're stable, and go cautiously. Alcohol is a GI irritant, so be careful - check here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/08/020508.html#askheather

Best,
Heather

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous