Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Gastroparesis and exercise

Question
Hello- Heather I have fairly weak digestion but have made improvements with dietary changes and supplementation. However, I am still unable to weight train and do certain exercises that I used to do all the time and its frustrating because physical fitness if very important to me. Right now if i exercise/lift weight too close to meals it seems to trigger a horrible upper GI spasm that can last 1-2 months. Symptoms are constant burping and indigestion 20-30 min after meals. My GI doc said i have a motility problem but with digestive enzymes i have been able to overcome the problem with success.  however, the issue seems to be mechanical and influenced by physical activity as well and thats what i cannot fix.  I did 60 pushups around thanksgiving and since then i have had a horrible flare up.  Can you recommend any treatments for this? I almost feel like i need to do something physical to strengthen the integrity of my esophagus and stomach muscles so that this will not happen anymore.  i would very much appreciate any feedback

Best Regards,

Jason

Answer
Hi Jason.  I'm not familiar with gastroparesis but with IBS intense exercise can trigger symptoms. It's the adrenaline causing the muscle spasms.  How do you do with swimming, walking, or yoga? Often these are good options for IBS when exercise causes problems.  Do make sure you wait two hours after eating to exercise.

Best,
Heather

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous