Irritable Bowel Syndrome/IBS and Stomach Bug

Question
How does viral gastroenteritis affect existing IBS-C? I have been diagnosed with IBS-C and I have recently been regulated with Amitiza, Celexa and Bentyl. I contracted with stomach bug from my kids a week ago and now I have crampy diarrhea every time I eat. It is causing decreased appetite for fear of the diarrhea. I admit that I have not been taking my meds during the 3 days I had the stomach bug but I have never had diarrhea as a main symptom. It is usually constipation and bloating. Will my current medication regimen work or is my IBS now alternating between constipation and diarrhea? Is it possible that the stomach bug was caused by a bacteria and I need to see my doctor for antibiotics? Thank you in advance for your time!!

Answer
Hi Andrea - definitely check in with your doc about all this. Viral gastroenteritis can cause IBS in the first place (it's an insult to the gut), so it can certainly drastically affect existing IBS.

In general, you'd want to stay on your IBS meds while getting over the infection, but again ask your doc.

I would add in probiotics as well as a prebiotic soluble fiber to augment their growth - those things can only help both diarrhea and constipation.

If you do end up on antibiotics those can make IBS much worse as well, and make your need for probiotics/prebiotics even greater. Unless you really need the antibiotics it's best to avoid a routine use.

Check here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/06/112806.html#newsresearch for an article that's got good probiotic/prebiotic info about this.

Best,
Heather

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous