Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Painful afternoons with IBS & Acid reflux

Question
QUESTION: I have diagnoses of IBA & Acid reflux but am still having real trouble with bloatedness & pain even though taking PPIs and gaviscon. I have moved from omeprazole 40mg to lanzapromole 30mg with gaviscon three times a day.

There is so much in the way of dos and dont diet wise and feel overwhelmed and upset.

I dont eat fried or fatty food, I have plenty of fibre, dont eat much in the way of bread and pasta and run/jog 5k between 4 and 6 times per week.

I really dont know what to do anymore and its getting me down now.

ANSWER: Hi Karen - I'm so sorry for all that you're going through. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Please check with your docs about the drugs - all of those can actually cause GI side effects, so they may want to tweak the dose or try a different version of the same type of drug.

I'm going to send you to an IBS diet cheat sheet that will give you easy lists to follow for safe foods, trigger foods, etc. Learning the difference between soluble and insoluble fibers will really help you. And the breads and pastas you're avoiding may actually be good soluble fiber staples that will help keep your gut calm.

It's not complicated, so don't worry! Check here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/cheatsheet.asp for getting the diet cheat sheet.

The jogging is great exercise, which is very helpful for IBS, so stick with that.

For bloating check here http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/bloating.asp for a quick list of helpful ideas.

Best,
Heather

QUESTION: HI Heather,

I have tried to obtain your free diet sheet and compelted the details but when I try to open it, nothing appears - can you email me directly?

I always found bread/pasta really put weight on and made me feel bloated, I have started trying to eat wheat free bread, maybe that and wheat free pasta? I don't want to cut what from my diet as I am not aware of any issues with that, just the likes of bread & pasta.

Thanks,

Karen

Answer
Hi Karen - here's a direct link to the cheat sheet http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/heathersibsdietcheatsheet.pdf

It's a large doc formatted for printing so if your computer or connection speed aren't really fast it might take a while to load. And you do need Adobe Acrobat (a free program that is probably already on your computer) to open it.

You can certainly go wheat free or gluten free and eat safely for IBS as well. Just choose soluble fiber supplements without wheat/gluten. Rice, oatmeal, root veggies, quinoa, buckwheat, applesauce, bananas, mangoes, tapioca, cornmeal, etc.

Best,
Heather

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous