Irritable Bowel Syndrome/fiber and ibs

Question
I recently switched from Heather's Tummy Fiber because I lost my job and money was tight. So,I purchased a fiber suppliment at my local Walmart and the active ingredient is Dextrin. My IBS symptoms are almost worse and talk about constipation! What can you tell me about Dextrin>?

Answer
Hi Suzanne- I'm so sorry you lost your job - I hope you find something wonderful soon.

Dextrin is a by-product of other manufacturing, from various products (wheat, corn, etc.). It is basically an ingredient used by some fiber packagers because it is as cheap as possible. Since the ingredients on your container don't even specify the type of dextrin they may be switching between varieties and sources based on what is the least expensive option, regardless of whether it is the most effective for IBS symptoms.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to work as well for IBS as the Tummy Fiber, which is a "whole food" pure soluble fiber that is certified organic, minimally processed, not a by-product, and a prebiotic. The prebiotic effect can really help IBS gas and bloating. And the Tummy Fiber has a good gastrointestinal tolerance - I don't know about dextrin.

If something is certified organic you know it is free of pesticides and herbicides, and since people with IBS have hyper-reactive guts it's a good idea to avoid or at least minimize those.

What's the amount of soluble fiber in grams per dose size of dextrin? You want to be sure you compare apples to apples here. The Tummy Fiber has 2 grams soluble fiber per level teaspoon, or 6 grams per level tablespoon. It is typically the most economical fiber on the market in terms of cost per gram, because it's really concentrated.

You can also get 50% off your first purchase of Tummy Fiber from a local store - the US store finder is here http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/stores.asp

And you can order the bulk kit of 3 pouches together for a discount from the HelpForIBS.com site here http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/suplmts/acacia.asp

And you can order the economical refill pouches directly from Amazon with free shipping here http://www.amazon.com/Heathers-Tummy-Organic-Irritable-Syndrome/dp/B0002ON8DU/re

It doesn't sound like dextrin is going to be a good fit for you. You might try and go back to the Tummy Fiber with one of the options above. And see if your insurance will cover the Tummy Fiber as an OTC remedy if you have a doctor prescribe it for you. At the least, you should be able to use a flex account to cover it, if you have that option.

Also make sure you get enough soluble fiber, and carefully incorporate insoluble fiber, from foods. Check here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp and here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber2.asp for those lists.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Heather  

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous