Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Is genetic gallbladder disease preventable?

Question
Hello! There wasn't a specific gallbladder section for me to ask this, but this is the closest I could find.
I am a healthy 18 year old female. I am 5'7 and weigh 128 pounds. However, for the past few years, I've suffered from very mild gallbladder pain..it usually only occurs when I consume fatty or processed foods, and the pain is just a dull ache around the area of my gallbladder that doesn't last for more than 15 minutes. I have never had an attack and it is not acute pain. My family has a history of gallbladder problems, most of which resulted in removal, leading me to believe that it is genetic.
My concern is that I am subject to this disease, which is why I am experiencing mild pain now. My question is, is there any way to prevent gallbladder disease at this stage, through either dietary means or medication? I would like to keep it healthy as long as possible. Also, what does it mean to have only mild gallbladder pain exclusively? Is that an indication of disease?
Thank you!

Answer
Hi Lucy - I am so sorry, this is really outside my area. I'd make an appointment with both a GI doc and a dietitian and see if they can give you good info here.

In general, I believe you are on the right track, in that the lower your fat intake (especially animal fats) the more you can lessen your risk of gallbladder problems. If I had to guess I'd say that vegans probably have the lowest risk of gallbladder issues. You might check a book like Campbell's the China Study, which has an assessment of very large scale, worldwide, diet/health disease comparisons.

You might also use peppermint, which increases bile production. That can help with gallbladder issues, so it might help prevent issues as well. Again, I'm not sure.

Best,
Heather

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous