Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Two questions!

Question
Heather,
I have done red meat elimination diets three times, and am convinced that any amount of red meat bloats me up big time, and I think it also has other affects on my body including messing with my blood sugar.

1. Have you heard of red meat contributing to insulin sensitivity and weight gain, besides I.B.S.?

I really overdid it this summer drinking beer,and my stomach has blow up and remains that way. All attempts at dieting and exercise have failed. Does beer contribute to IBS, or is it an intestinal yeast infection?
I took a few tablespoons coconut oil this morning, and tonight I am blowing out gas and diarrhea to beat the band. At first I was nauseous, but that has gone.

2.What do you think?
Thanks! By the way your fibre works great. Anything else gives me problems.

Answer
Hi Bud - I don't have a ton of info on red meat outside of digestive issues, but there is a wealth of research on this in general that is available. Good studies are at pcrm.org or the book The China Study by Campbell. Red meat consumption is certainly linked to obesity, and that would in turn be linked to diabetes, as well as heart disease, colon cancer, high cholesterol, etc. There is no good reason to eat it and many very good reasons not to, so trust your body on this.

Beer is tough on IBS - it's carbonated, and it's alcohol, and both can cause tremendous bloating and gas. Check here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/IBSQuickie/alcohol_ibs.html

If you think you have any kind of GI infection you'd want to see your GI doc.

Coconut oil will also be a trigger - check here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/IBSQuickie/coconutoil_ibs.html

I'd drop back to the breaking the cycle diet for a few days and make sure you're drinking just a ton of fennel or peppermint tea. Brew it so strong it's practically black. Check here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/what_to_eat.asp

Hang in there - once you get into a rut of IBS symptoms it takes some effort to break the cycle and get your gut back on a calm path. Keep up with your Tummy Fiber - that will help.  

And thanks for your kind comments! :)
Best,
Heather

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous