Irritable Bowel Syndrome/(It's not the carbs) making me sick

hi heather, I started to eat breakfast this morning that consists of 2 waffles, hash browns and eggs. after I ate the breakfast minutes later I started to feel nauseous. why am I feeling sick of these foods.

Hi Christopher - I hope you are feeling better soon. Just FYI, waffles, hash browns, and eggs would have not just carbs but protein and fat. There's no reason "carbs" - an enormous category of foods - would make you sick.

What's much more likely is that your breakfast was far too high in fat. Fat is a huge GI stimulant and thus potential IBS trigger. Were the hash browns and eggs fried? Egg yolks alone are very high fat.

Was there dairy (butter, milk) in the waffles? More egg yolks? Oil?

If you ate this at a restaurant it's pretty much guaranteed there was dairy and a TON of fat in all of these items. If you make them at home, you can be much safer as you can avoid dairy and control the fat.

There is a list of safe and easy breakfast ideas for IBS here taken from the book Eating for IBS.

If you need more detailed information about eating safely for IBS overall start with the IBS diet info here

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous

I can address questions regarding diet, cooking, recipes, and non-pharmaceutical supplements (soluble fiber, herbal, probiotics, etc.) for IBS. I can supply information sources about diagnostic guidelines, symptoms, and the medical pathology of IBS, but I cannot give a diagnosis or analyze test results a patient has obtained. I would prefer not to answer questions about prescription drugs and diagnostic tests. PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME YOUR SYMPTOMS AND THEN ASK ME TO DIAGNOSE YOU!

I'm the founder and CEO of, an organization dedicated to serving people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My goal is to offer education, support, and help that allows people with IBS to successfully manage their symptoms through lifestyle modifications.

I'm the author of Eating for IBS, the only explicit dietary guide and cookbook for people with bowel disorders. Eating for IBS then led to my second book, The First Year: IBS, a comprehensive view of the disorder and every way to successfully manage it. Together, these works have become the two best-selling, best-reviewed IBS books in America.

My writing has led to an ongoing Canadian clinical research study of the groundbreaking dietary guidelines for Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Eating for IBS; this work also led to my inclusion in the 4th edition of Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare. Today's Dietitian has featured my IBS dietary guidelines, and my work has reached gastroenterologists and internists. I'm the author of "Heather's IBS Newsletter", which is free to subscribers and is published twice monthly. As a result, I've become recognized as the foremost patient-expert on IBS in America. I've personally had IBS since age 9.

I now teach classes on managing IBS through lifestyle modifications, I developed the Heather's Tummy Care line of organic medical foods for the dietary management of IBS, and I'm planning to work with corporate HR departments to offer employee IBS education programs. I host Heather Cooks!, the Seattle television cooking show for good digestive health, which is now available on DVD and also on the HelpForIBS YouTube Channel.

Help for IBS on Facebook

Help for IBS on Twitter

Amazon Author Profile

Google Author Profile

LinkedIn Profile

IBS Discussions RSS Feed

Heather Cooks for IBS - Watch the Video!

IBS Pinterest Board

Health Grades IBS Interview
Canadian Living Magazine
USA Today
Today's Dietitian
Digestive Health & Nutrition Magazine
Health Magazine
American Airlines In-Flight Magazine

Eating for IBS excerpts and recipes licensed by Novartis Pharmaceuticals

M.A. 1996
B.A. 1992

Inclusion in Marquis Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare

Eating for IBS Finalist for an IACP Julia Child Cookbook Award 2001

Eating for IBS #17 on the Library Journal's Cookbook Bestseller list for 2000