Irritable Bowel Syndrome/IBS

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (Constipation Dominant)
Fatherís age -88.Main problem-, constantly suffering from constipation/gas/sometimes colic pain
Diabetic patient for long 30 years, developed diabetes neuropathy, operated for piles some 40 years back, now no problem from piles
Presently taking nerve medicines (Gabapentin), Medicines for Blood Sugar, Blood Pressure, HEART NORMAL
To relieve constipation Allopathic Medicines  like Lactulose , Isabgul failed.very often suffers from  Gas
(A)Takes Ayurvedic Medicines (Sena Leaf Combination) BUT DOSE CANNT BE ADJUSTED. On some days heavy loose motion, on other days no stool Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Something Else CAUSING GAS, BLOATING
Regularly takes Antacid Tablets(Pantoprazole)
Sleep-Normal, Appetite deteriorates when there is no stool
1) When he takes Ayurvedic medicines he feels urge for stool or No Stool as mentioned in (A) above
2) Stool size is like small balls has to be taken out by fingering
3) Thirst desire is less
Whenever there is no stool even for a single day feels UNCOMFORTABLE AS ABOVE
4) Sometimes there is mucus in stool
         FOR IBS there are special medication like antibiotic Refaximin/Anti Depressant like amitriptyline hydrochloride/Probiotocs(NONE BEING USED NOW)Now constipation is being managed with syrup containing  Magnesium Hydroxide + Paraffin + Sodium Picosulphate.PLEASE SUGGEST SOME MEDICINES FOR GAS /BLOATING problems .whether mosapride/mebeverine are given.Please solve gas/bloating problems and suggest some medicines,but no medicine which cause constipation can be given

Hi - please follow up with your father's doctors about this, as there are many more medical and drug issues going on here than is typical for IBS.

For help with IBS bloating check here  None of the suggestions on that page will worsen constipation.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous

I can address questions regarding diet, cooking, recipes, and non-pharmaceutical supplements (soluble fiber, herbal, probiotics, etc.) for IBS. I can supply information sources about diagnostic guidelines, symptoms, and the medical pathology of IBS, but I cannot give a diagnosis or analyze test results a patient has obtained. I would prefer not to answer questions about prescription drugs and diagnostic tests. PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME YOUR SYMPTOMS AND THEN ASK ME TO DIAGNOSE YOU!

I'm the founder and CEO of, an organization dedicated to serving people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My goal is to offer education, support, and help that allows people with IBS to successfully manage their symptoms through lifestyle modifications.

I'm the author of Eating for IBS, the only explicit dietary guide and cookbook for people with bowel disorders. Eating for IBS then led to my second book, The First Year: IBS, a comprehensive view of the disorder and every way to successfully manage it. Together, these works have become the two best-selling, best-reviewed IBS books in America.

My writing has led to an ongoing Canadian clinical research study of the groundbreaking dietary guidelines for Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Eating for IBS; this work also led to my inclusion in the 4th edition of Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare. Today's Dietitian has featured my IBS dietary guidelines, and my work has reached gastroenterologists and internists. I'm the author of "Heather's IBS Newsletter", which is free to subscribers and is published twice monthly. As a result, I've become recognized as the foremost patient-expert on IBS in America. I've personally had IBS since age 9.

I now teach classes on managing IBS through lifestyle modifications, I developed the Heather's Tummy Care line of organic medical foods for the dietary management of IBS, and I'm planning to work with corporate HR departments to offer employee IBS education programs. I host Heather Cooks!, the Seattle television cooking show for good digestive health, which is now available on DVD and also on the HelpForIBS YouTube Channel.

Help for IBS on Facebook

Help for IBS on Twitter

Amazon Author Profile

Google Author Profile

LinkedIn Profile

IBS Discussions RSS Feed

Heather Cooks for IBS - Watch the Video!

IBS Pinterest Board

Health Grades IBS Interview
Canadian Living Magazine
USA Today
Today's Dietitian
Digestive Health & Nutrition Magazine
Health Magazine
American Airlines In-Flight Magazine

Eating for IBS excerpts and recipes licensed by Novartis Pharmaceuticals

M.A. 1996
B.A. 1992

Inclusion in Marquis Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare

Eating for IBS Finalist for an IACP Julia Child Cookbook Award 2001

Eating for IBS #17 on the Library Journal's Cookbook Bestseller list for 2000