Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Gluten

Question
Hello,   I was hospitalized 5 years ago and they told me I had Celiac disease.  They told me to avoid Gluten which I have done in USA.  I had been on Prednizone and now for the last 3 years I am on Metheltrexate.  I am in Sweden and find I can't avoid eating Gluten so I have been eating what is put in front of me like breads, cakes etc because I don't want to insult my hosts.  I have done this for a month with no symptoms at all.  Do you think I am not allergic to Gluten or is it building up for an attack or is the Metheltrexate keeping things under control or is European gluten different from American gluten?

Answer
Hi Don - if you have celiac disease you can literally die if continue eat gluten. Just because you are asymptomatic doesn't mean there isn't serious, silent damage being done to organs throughout your body. Gluten is gluten, the same in the US, Europe, and all around the world.

You cannot eat gluten, period. Your friends and family can't be insulted by this. Your health and life depend on it. Please find a celiac support group in Sweden - there are online resources here http://celiac.org/

There is general info about celiac here http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/celiac.asp

Celiac is a genetic, auto-immune disorder that has no cure. You must avoid all gluten for the rest of your life. People who love and care about you must support you in this or they can't be a part of your life.

Best,
Heather

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous