Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Carbohydrate Specific Enzymes?

Question
Hi Heather
Hope thing are just swell with you since last we communicated. My IBS is improved thanks to you recommendations, especially the acacia fibre and less fat. Probiotics never did a thing for me, and broad spectrum digestive enzymes only helped a bit. I recently found some carbohydrate specific enzymes. Within minutes of taking them, I started to pass gas, and my constantly air filled balloon belly softened up. I am very impressed. Is it possible that for whatever reason, I do not produce enough enzymes myself? Thanks for your thoughts!

Answer
Hi Bud - digestive enzymes can't hurt, might well help, so there is no harm in trying them.

If the carb-specific enzymes are helping you most, it may be that you are having difficulty with FODMAPS (rapidly fermenting short chain carbohydrates, like fructose). Raffinose, bean sugar, is another carb that can make beans, lentils, soy, hard for people to digest if their gut isn't used to it.

I'd go ahead and keep doing what is helping you!

You can also ask your doc for a test of your own enzymes, but even if you don't have any abnormalities you might still have trouble with FODMAPS, raffinose, etc. as they can be inherently more troublesome than other options if you have IBS.

XOXO
Heather

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous