Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Constipation

Question
I have suffered with IBS for nearly three years. I even had x-rays and a colonoscopy done. Nothing unusual showed in the results.

I started taking Immodium and some other anti-dirr meds. Miralax and Metamucil are inefficient. I have gotten better but still constipation persists. I tried adding fiber to my diet. Nothing wants to come out and I end up straining. It's quite nasty. My "stuff" REEKS LIKE ___. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Answer
Hi Esther - I am so sorry, but I am confused. Immodium is for diarrhea, so it can cause constipation as a side effect. Miralax is a laxative, so it will help constipation but can cause diarrhea.

Metamucil is a fiber supplement. It can help both diarrhea and constipation, but it's not my first choice for IBS because it is psyllium, which has insoluble fiber, and can cause bloating and gas. It also has a lot of unnecessary added ingredients like sweeteners, artificial flavors, citric acid, etc.

Are you trying to resolve diarrhea or constipation? Do you alternate between the two? If you are confident you have been properly diagnosed with IBS, check here http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/sol_fiber1.asp for information about soluble fiber supplements.

The key is SOLUBLE fiber - you don't want to use INSOLUBLE fiber as a supplement if you have IBS, as it can cause problems.

Soluble fiber resolves BOTH diarrhea AND constipation, brings your bowel function to a normal middle point, and then keep you stable. It will not have the side effects that drugs and laxatives have, and it cannot turn diarrhea to constipation or vice versa.

Best,
Heather  

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Heather Van Vorous