Islam/Why is islam so HARD!

Amica wrote at 2013-12-26 21:45:23

I am a born Muslim, but have not began to practice Islam as much as I do today. However, I still have much to do and learn about it, as well as to start doing (e.g. wearing hijab). When I read the Noble Qur'an, I find Islam so simple as well as its message. However, once I turn to hadiths, my head begins to spin. Worst yet, some Muslims believe that to understand the Qur'an you must look at hadiths. There are thousands and thousands of hadiths vs. one Qur'an. Yet, many Muslims base their lives on the hadiths. I find that they make Islam more complicated than it really is. From a Qur'anic point of view it is clear what Islam is and what we must do and not do. No ifs or buts about it. Once you begin to read hadiths....oh boy! And, many Muslims make verbal attacks to those who state that hadiths contradict Qur'an (e.g. stoning for adultery) and call it blasphemous. So, what is one to do? Such Muslims are so intolerant of non-Muslims as well as Muslims who are different than them. I figured that I should just shut up, do what Qur'an says, take from hadiths what is good and leave the bad, and live my life in peace.  

Alexandra Katarzyna Jerome

I can answer questions on women, gender, veiling, contemporary Arabic literature, Islamic Feminism and women's movements. I can also answer questions about Islam in Iran, Afghanistan, and the United States.

Currently I am a PhD Candidate in American Studies/American Islam at the College of William & Mary and serve on the Scholars Board of the American Islamic Fellowship. Prior to that, I was a lecturer in Religion and Languages at York College teaching Arabic, Islam, and World Religions. In Fall 2005, I interned for the Department of Women's Affairs and the Ambassador's Office at the Embassy of Afghanistan in Washington, D.C. I have lectured to both faculty and community organizations on "Women in Islam" (including belief, practice, and textiles) and on "Islam in America." My educational background is broadly in Islam and Gender, Literature, and American Islam.

Association for Middle Eastern Women's Studies American Academy of Religion Middle East Studies Association of North America American Islamic Fellowship International Campaign Against Honour Killings Women Against Crimes of Honour

Arabesques (Article on Assia Djebar and Algerian Literature) Encyclopedia of Women in Islamic Cultures (Encyclopedia Article on Afghan Women's Poetry) Journal of Middle East Women's Studies (Book Review) Bulletin, Middle East Studies Association (Book Review) Journal of Arab Media and Society (Book Review) Journal of Islamic Social Sciences (Book Review)

B.A. Middle Eastern Studies (specializing in Gender) and Spanish (Dickinson College) Study Abroad: Universidad de Granada and the American University in Cairo (2001-02) M.A. Islamic Societies and Cultures (University of London) M.A. Gender and Identity in the Middle East (University of Exeter) Ph.D. Candidate, American Studies/American Islam, Department of American Studies (The College of William & Mary)

Master's Degree, Summa Cum Laude/Distinction (University of Exeter) Master's Thesis with Distinction (University of Exeter) Master's Thesis with Merit (University of London) Service Award (Embassy of Afghanistan)