Islam/Iddha period and regarding my daughter

Question
Salams... i filed a Fasah divorce from my 1st marriage as he was a womaniser. i have a daughter from him who is under 4yrs of age. after divorcing him.. i got married again but later had to face so many troubles in that marriage too..he beated me up etc.. and the worse thing was he disliked my daughter and treated her as a stranger. after facing so many hardships i decided to divorce him under Fasah divorce as my daughter was emotionally getting affected. i got my Fasah Divorce and im in my Iddah now. my question is how long is my Iddha period? there is a confusion regarding this. also i want to know whether i could attend my daughters first ever school function as only my dad is with me in my house. my mother is abroad with my brother. i feel sad to send her alone with my dad.. also if i can attend the concert, should i cover my face? Please b kind enough to answer my questions as soon as possible.. May Allah bless you!

Answer
Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Assalmalaikum

Dear Sister,

I am sorry to learn about your situation and the hardships you have faced in life. Below is the idda details.

[Quran 2:228] Divorced women shall wait concerning themselves for three monthly periods. Nor is it lawful for them to hide what Allah (God) Hath created in their wombs, if they have faith in Allah (God) and the Last Day. And their husbands have the better right to take the m back in that period, if they wish for reconciliation. And women shall have rights similar to the rights against them, according to what is equitable; but men have a degree (of advantage) over them. And Allah (God) is Exalted in Power, Wise.

[Quran 33:49] O you who believe! When you marry believing women, and then divorce them before you have touched them, no period of 'Iddat have you to count in respect of them: so give them a present. And set them free in a handsome manner.

[Quran 65:4] Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the prescribed period, if you have any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses (it is the same): for those who carry (life within their wombs), their perio d is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear Allah (God), He will make their path easy.

[Baqara 2:234] If any of you die and leave widows behind, they shall wait concerning themselves four months and ten days: When they have fulfilled their term, there is no blame on you if they dispose of themselves in a just and reasonable manner. And Allah/God is well acquainted with what you do.

Bukhari Volumn 007, Book 063, Hadith Number 254.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By Um 'Atiyya : We were forbidden to mourn for more than three days for a dead person, except for a husband, for whom a wife should mourn for four months and ten days (while in the mourning period) we were not allowed to put kohl in our eyes, nor perfume our-selves, nor wear dyed clothes, except a garment of 'Asb (special clothes made in Yemen). But it was permissible for us that when one of us became clean from her menses and took a bath, she could use a piece of a certain kind of incense. And it was forbidden for us to follow funeral processions.

During iddat its better to stay in the house. However during times of necessity one can move around. Yes you should cover your face from non-mahrams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

rg
Ahmer

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

hijab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3C1WpX3N8

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcl0ZAF6ZU

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOexGJC88U

love affairs & Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xAj7Aeg-w

Riba
http://www.dailymotion.com/islamnatural

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

Islam

Ahmer