Islam/Aqiqa later on in life

Dear respected brother in Islam,

Assalamu Alaykum,

My son was born 9.5 years ago and I was not knowledgeable about Aqiqa (the sacrifice of animal on behalf of a child), and recently was questioned if I have performed Aqiqa for my son.
I did not.
Can you please let me know if it is allowed and of use to perform this now (after 9.5 years of his birth)?
I will greatly appreciate your advise.
May Allah swt reward you.

Your sister in Islam

Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Dear Sister,

Indeed you can do it later.

Bukhari Volumn 007, Book 066, Hadith Number 378.
Narated By Asma' bint Abu Bakr : I conceived 'Abdullah bin AzZubair at Mecca and went out (of Mecca) while I was about to give birth. I came to Medina and encamped at Quba', and gave birth at Quba'. Then I brought the child to Allah's Apostle and placed it (on his lap). He asked for a date, chewed it, and put his saliva in the mouth of the child. So the first thing to enter its stomach was the saliva of Allah's Apostle. Then he did its Tahnik with a date, and invoked Allah to bless him. It was the first child born in the Islamic era, therefore they (Muslims) were very happy with its birth, for it had been said to them that the Jews had bewitched them, and so they would not produce any offspring.

Bukhari Volumn 007, Book 066, Hadith Number 380.
Narated By Salman bin 'Amir Ad-Dabbi : I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "'Aqiqa is to be offered for a (newly born) boy, so slaughter (an animal) for him, and relieve him of his suffering." (Note: It has been quoted in Fateh-AL-Bari that the majority of the Religious Scholars agrees to the Hadith narrated in Sahih At-Tirmidi that the Prophet was asked about Aqiqa and he ordered 2 sheep for a boy and one sheep for a girl and that is his tradition "SUNNA".)

AbuDawud Book 009, Hadith Number 2828.
Narated By Umm Kurz al-Ka'biyyah : I heard the Apostle of Allah (pbuh) say: Two resembling sheep are to be sacrificed for a boy and one for a girl.

AbuDawud Book 009, Hadith Number 2833.
Narated By Samurah b. Jundub : The Apostle of Allah (pbuh) said: Along with a boy there is an 'aqiqah, so shed blood on his behalf, and remove injury from him.

AbuDawud Book 009, Hadith Number 2834.
Narated By Al-Hasan : To remove the injury is the shaving of the head.

AbuDawud Book 009, Hadith Number 2837.
Narated By Buraydah ibn al-Hasib : When a boy was born to one of us in the pre-Islamic period, we sacrificed a sheep and smeared his head with its blood; but when Allah brought Islam, we sacrificed a sheep, shaved his head and smeared his head with saffron.

Muwatta Book 026, Hadith Number 003.
Yahya related to me from Malik from Rabia ibn Abi Abd ar-Rahman that Muhammad ibn Ali ibn al-Husayn said, "Fatima, the daughter of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, weighed the hair of Hasan and Husayn, and gave away in sadaqa the equivalent weight in silver."

Muwatta Book 026, Hadith Number 007.
Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa that his father, Urwa ibn az-Zubayr made an aqiqa for his male and female children of a sheep each.

Malik said, "What we do about the aqiqa is that if someone makes an aqiqa for his children, he gives a sheep for both male and female. The aqiqa is not obligatory but it is desirable to do it, and people continue to come to us about it. If someone makes an aqiqa for his children, the same rules apply as with all sacrificial animals... one-eyed, emaciated, injured, or sick animals must not be used, and neither the meat or the skin is to be sold. The bones are broken and the family eat the meat and give some of it away as sadaqa. The child is not smeared with any of the blood."

The meat should be eaten by the family, distributed to the poor and amongst the relatives.

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation

love affairs & Islam

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

Solutions strictly from the Quran and the authentic Hadiths. ****** website ****** Do pose your questions and see the difference in our answers.

Preaching Islam since childhood, and further gained commanding knowledge of almost every affairs of the religion though authentic books and attending lectures by notable scholars of Islam

Bachelors degree in Commerce, Diploma in Electronics Engg.