Islam/Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

Question
QUESTION: Salaam alaikum dear,

Sir you know that we Muslims love and believe Prophet Eesa (Jesus) Pbuh but Christians don't believe in the last Prophet - Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh).

They say that 'you have to disbelieve in the last Prophet and follow Jesus for salvation'.

I mean why can't we get together, believe in One God (ALLAH) and folow the last Prophet through whom God has send his final message (Al Qur'aan). Why should we reject the message of any Prophet of God?

----------------
The Messenger has believed in what was revealed to him from his Lord, and (so have) the believers. All of them have believed in ALLAH, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers, (saying), “We make no distinction between any of His Messengers.”
[Qur’aan 5:72]
----------------

ANSWER: Dear Muahammad,

Peace to you! Thank you for your message. Please permit me to ask a couple of questions:

If you say Muslims believe in in Jesus Christ, do they believe in him as he is described in the Injeel, having died to conquer Shaitan, to take away our shame and having risen on the third day to give his followers power over the evil one?

If not, then is not to say, 'we believe in Jesus' misleading, since that would be a different Jesus from how he is described in the Injeel, the earliest source of his life?

Kind regards,

A. Abraham  

QUESTION: Salaam alaikum dear,

The oneness of God was also the original belief in Christianity and we don't find in Injeel saying that: Jesus was the son of God. The belief that Jesus is the son of God did not come to surface until more than three hundred years after Jesus’ departure.

The Bible itself never explicitly mentions the trinity, rather only subtly hints at it in John 1:1, “In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God...”  However, this verse was added in the sixteen century and still the verse does not mention the trinity explicitly.

David also mentions he is the child of God in the Bible.  Why then do we not accept David as the son of God?  No other prophet has been known to have preached or mentioned the trinity, including Moses.

So why can't christians follow the final testament of God (Al Qur'aan)?

ANSWER: Peace to you!

Thank you for your reply. Yes the Bible talkes about the oneness of God, however, it defines it as 'uniquely One' in the sense that there is a plurality found within God's oneness. It is a bit like you, my dear Muhammad. You are one human being, yet you are made up of a physical body, a soul and a spirit. Are you three? No, you are one but there is an added aspect of your soul and spirit (=a plurality)to you being.

Have you read the Injeel? If so you have come across the following verses where Jesus is called the 'Son of God' (of course, not in a physical sense but spiritually speaking. Like when the Quran calls Abraham the Father of all believers in Surah 22:78. This is meant spiritually not physically:

Jesus: 'Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him!' (John 3:36)

Yes, other people are called son of God in the Bible but only Jesus is addressed as being 'the one and only, the unique son of God'

The Trinity is taught in many verses in the Bible, such as:

'In the beginning God ('elohim', plural, the Father) created ('bara' singular verb) the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, (God the Son who is known as His word in Joh 1:1 through whom he created all things according to Col 1:16)

'Let there be light,' and there was light.' (Gen 1:1-3)

'...hear this: from the beginning I have not spoken in secret, from the time it came to be I have been there. And now the Lord GOD has sent me and his Spirit.' (Isa 48:16)

Ultimately, these verses find their fulfilment in Jesus (Joh 10:36, Luk 4:1,14,18).

'I will tell of the kindness of the LORD, the deeds for which he is to be praised, according to all the LORD has done for us - yes, the many good things he has done for the house of Israel, according to his compassion and many kindness. He said, 'Surely they are my people, sons who will not be false to me'; and so he became their Saviour. In all their distress he too was distressed, and the angel of his presence saved them. In his love and mercy he redeemed them; he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old. Yet they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit. So he turned and became their enemy and he himself fought against them.' (Isa 63:7-10)

There are a number of verses in the New Testament that call Jesus and the Holy Spirit God, besides God the Father. (Joh 8:58, compare with Exo 3:14; Act 5:3-4 etc.) In the light of this truth the following verses are understood to be speaking about the Trinity:

'And when Jesus was baptized, he went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting on him; and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, 'This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.' (Mat 3:16-17)

'Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name (singular!) of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,...' (Mat 28:19)

'May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.' (2 Cor 13:13)

'Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the elect who are sojourners of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.' (1 Pet 1:1-2)

In Acts 2:38, 8:16, 19:4 people are baptized in the name of Jesus only. Since Jesus is now included in a way he was not in John's baptism (19:4), the abbreviated form is used in the beginning to emphasize the distinctive quality of the new baptism. For more verses speaking about the Trinity when one considers the Biblical context see, Ephesians 4:4-6, 5:18-20, 1 Corinthians 12:4-6, Romans 8:9-11.

All these are some of the reason why Christians cannot follow the Quran.

I trust you will understand.

Kind regards,

A. Abraham  

QUESTION: You have pasted several verses and sadly none of them explicitly mentions trinity. Rather its so complicated, I wonder how you are following this book (Bible) when God has send another in its place (Noble Qur'aan).

Jesus never said worship me. No other prophet has been known to have preached or mentioned the trinity, including Moses.  Ask yourself, is the trinity 1 in 3 or 3 in 1?

Also, consider the belief of Jesus as the son of God.  If this were the case, ask yourself, was Jesus around before time and did he know of the future and want to die for the sins of people then?  The answer would have to be yes.  Then, ask yourself, why were Jesus’ last words while at the Cross, “Oh God, why have You forsaken me?”  

Also, when Jesus died for three days, how many gods were there?  Jesus, like Muhammad and Moses, was a human being and a prophet, who had human tendencies that included eating and sleeping.

The truth is that bible is corrupted and when the message (holy book) of any Prophet is corrupted or the teachings of former Prophets are changed with time, ALLAH sends a new Prophet in order to revive the true belief. In this way we find long line of Prophets and Messengers. Thus, belief in all the Prophets of the world is an essential principle of Islam because their basic message was the same.ALLAH says, For verily, We have sent among every nation a Messenger (proclaiming): “Worship ALLAH (Alone) and avoid At-Taghoot (all false gods).” [Quran 16:36]

The only difference is that Quran is the last of the Revealed Books of our Creator. It is a revision of all previous books, and therefore, will continue to guide people till the Last Day. Since Quran is the last Book, it will never change as happened to earlier books as promised. ALLAH says. Verily, it is We Who sent down the Quran and surely, We will be its guardian. [Quran 15:9]

So what keeps you away from the truth?

Why are you hiding the last message of God?

Will you believe when you will be certain and at that time there will be no return whatsoever?

ALLAH says.
Woe, that Day, to the deniers. Then in what statement after the Qur’an will they believe? [Quran 77:49-50]

Answer
Dear Muhammad,

Thank you again for your message. It is a priviledge to me to be in conversation with you. I rejoice because you are learning about the Injeel from a follower of Jesus rather than from a Muslim. This is how it should be. We should always go to primary, not secondary sources.

You mentioned that the Trinity is complicated.

Well, the incomprehensibility of God is confirmed in the Quran and the Bible. (Job 11:7, 1 Cor 2:11, Surah Al-Anaam 6:103 ). Many attributes of Him are accepted by both Muslims and Christians, yet are simply not fully comprehensible to the human mind. We all accept that God has no beginning, yet do we understand this? The common question asked by children, 'If God made everything, who made God?' is just as puzzling to adults. Muslims and Christians believe that God is independent of space and time, yet how on earth can we satisfactorily explain how this might be? How is it that God can be nearer to us than our most secret thought, yet be this for the billions of other people on earth just as much simultaneously? These confusing facts apply also to all people in history and the times to come. 'Impossible!' the sceptic cries out, yet true. Then why should it be such a problem if there is some aspect of God's essential nature (his Trinitarian existence) which is difficult for us to grasp? Someone said, 'if you can understand it then be sure it is not God.' Both, the Bible and the Quran speak about God anthropomorphically (human terms are used to describe him). Orthodox Muslims do not explain the 'how'. Similarly, it is a fact that God's word was revealed in a book, but how the infinite can be expressed in the finite is not clarified.

You wrote: Jesus never said worship me.

Well, the Injeel says here that he accepted worship without telling those off who did so. If it was wrong to worship Jesus than he would have surely corrected them:

-------------------------------

Mat 28:16  Jesus' eleven disciples went to a mountain in Galilee, where Jesus had told them to meet him.
Mat 28:17  They saw him and worshiped him, but some of them doubted.
Mat 28:18  Jesus came to them and said: I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth!
Mat 28:19  Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,
Mat 28:20  and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.

-------------------------------------------
Rev 5:6  Then I looked and saw a Lamb (=one of the titles of Jesus) standing in the center of the throne that was surrounded by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb looked as if it had once been killed.......
Rev 5:9  Then they sang a new song, "You are worthy to receive the scroll and open its seals, because you were killed. And with your own blood you bought for God people from every tribe, language, nation, and race.
Rev 5:10  You let them become kings and serve God as priests, and they will rule on earth."
Rev 5:11  As I looked, I heard the voices of a lot of angels around the throne and the voices of the living creatures and of the elders. There were millions and millions of them,
Rev 5:12  and they were saying in a loud voice, "The Lamb who was killed is worthy to receive power, riches, wisdom, strength, honor, glory, and praise."
Rev 5:13  Then I heard all beings in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and in the sea offer praise. Together, all of them were saying, "Praise, honor, glory, and strength forever and ever to the one who sits on the throne and to the Lamb!"
Rev 5:14  The four living creatures said "Amen," while the elders knelt down and worshiped.

--------------------------------------------

Joh 20:24  Although Thomas the Twin was one of the twelve disciples, he wasn't with the others when Jesus appeared to them.
Joh 20:25  So they told him, "We have seen the Lord!" But Thomas said, "First, I must see the nail scars in his hands and touch them with my finger. I must put my hand where the spear went into his side. I won't believe unless I do this!"
Joh 20:26  A week later the disciples were together again. This time, Thomas was with them. Jesus came in while the doors were still locked and stood in the middle of the group. He greeted his disciples
Joh 20:27  and said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and look at my hands! Put your hand into my side. Stop doubting and have faith!"
Joh 20:28  Thomas replied, "You are my Lord and my God!"

---------------------------------------------

You wrote: Ask yourself, is the trinity 1 in 3 or 3 in 1?

The Trinity is alluded to in many verses in the Bible as I mentioned in my last message. It is the only solution to them. The Trinity is One (=in the sense of unique) God in three persons (=in the sense of self with a particular function. Mathematically you could express it as:

1 X 1 X 1 = 1

You wrote:  (If Jesus was God) Then, ask yourself, why were Jesus’ last words while at the Cross, “Oh God, why have You forsaken me?”

Jesus is God who took on a human nature. As such he was fully human except without sin, with limited knowledge, needing sleep, food, etc. When he prayed, like humans do, Oh God, why have you forsaken me, he prayed a prayer in Psalm 22. It ends up with praising God.

You wrote: Also, when Jesus died for three days, how many gods were there?

God is always One in his essence, (substance) and three in Persons. When Jesus died in his human nature, he was cut off from God the Father and God the Spirit for a time because sin seperates from God.  

You wrote: The Bible is corrupted.

In Surah 5, Al Ma'idah, verse 48, the Quran is spoken of as confirming the Scripture that was before it and as a watcher over it. The Arabic meaning of the word "watch" (Muhaimin) can also be rendered "one who safeguards", "stands witness", "preserves" and "upholds". This clearly contradicts the view that the revelations given to the prophet of Islam allegedly abrogated the Bible! If this were the case there would be no need to confirm the Torah and the Gospel or even to watch over them in such a determined way.

'Say: O People of the Book! Ye have no ground to stand upon unless ye stand fast by the Law, the Gospel and all the revelation that has come to you from your Lord....' (Surah 5, Al Ma'idah, verse 68)

'No change can there be in the Words of Allah. This is indeed the supreme Felicity.' (Surah 10, Junus, verse 64)

Since the Tawrat and the Injil are words of Allah it is impossible for man to change them. God has the power to watch over His word and to preserve it.

In Surah 2, Al Baqarah, verse 106 the principle of abrogation is explained: For every revelation that is abrogated something better or similar is substituted. If this verse would refer to the abrogation of the Gospel through the Quran it would mean that the teaching of the former book would be inferior or at least similar to the latter one.

The essence of Christianity consists of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, which is totally rejected by Islam. (See also 1 Corinthians 15:14) The Bible teaches that through faith in Jesus' work the assurance of forgiveness of sin, of eternal life in God's presence through grace (God's undeserved favour) is available to everyone! He who puts his faith into practice by obeying what the Gospel says will benefit from all these blessings.

Surely this wonderful teaching can not be called inferior or similar to the doctrines of the Quran! There we read about how people may get forgiveness from God mainly through their good works and, if He is willing, by His mercy. Paradise will be a place where God is absent. In Surah 76, Al Insan, verse 5 and Surah 56, Waqi'ah, verses 35-38 we read that what was forbidden on earth will be legal (drinking of wine, and having sexual relationships with many virgins). The prophet taught a real and literal interpretation of these sensual delights in heaven. (See Sahihu Muslim, Mishkat book 23, chapter 13) It normally can only be entered after having spent a long time in hell first. Furthermore, the minority who says the principle of abrogation given in Surah 2, Al Baqarah, verse 106, applies to the Bible will be left without guidelines as regards to their own book. They will have to depend on a later, unsure historical development about the code of abrogation in order to deal with otherwise contradictory passages.

On a different matter: As I replied to your message I got the impression that someone in your family or among your friends who are dear to you is sick. Is this correct? If yes, please let me know and I will pray for healing, if you wish.

Kind regards,

A. Abraham  

Islam

A. Abraham