Islam/Fortune telling vs astrology

Question
Islam forbids fortune telling but does Islam forbids astrology?
Is there any marked similarity or differences between these two activities?

I understand that astrology can provide vital clues to our personality and how we can react to seize this period's important opportunities and reach this new turning point in our life.

Amongst other things astrology will explain:
- our fundamental needs, values and orientation towards life
- The principal aspects of our personality
- our lesser known character traits
- how we approach life, our basic stance towards life
- how we appear to others and the way others see us
- the way we come across and the face we show to the world
- the Inner us and our real motivation
- the kind of person we are at heart and where our true priorities lie
- how we can generally boost our capacities
- the costume we wear and also the real person inside the costume
- our real role in life
- what our mental interests and abilities
- how to get over our deeply hidden fears
- what are our emotions, moods and feelings
- how we are romantically
- how we achieve our goals, what our drives and ambitions are
- growth and expansion: the areas that we enjoy
- hat are the domains in which we could excel and find satisfaction
- the areas that challenge us or are difficult for us
- what makes us so original and how strong is our imagination
- in which areas we are creative, unique, unstable or compulsive

Answer
Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Assalmalaikum

Dear Brother/Sister,

[Quran 31:34] Verily the knowledge of the Hour (end of the world) is with Allah (God) (alone). It is He Who sends down rain, and He Who knows what is in the wombs. Nor does any one know what it is that he will earn on tomorrow: Nor does any one know in what land he is to die. Verily with Allah (God) is full knowledge and He is acquainted (with all things).

Bukhari Volumn 002, Book 017, Hadith Number 149.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By Ibn 'Umar : Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) said, "Keys of the unseen knowledge are five which nobody knows but Allah... nobody knows what will happen tomorrow; nobody knows what is in the womb; nobody knows what he will gain tomorrow; nobody knows at what place he will die; and nobody knows when it will rain."

Anything with less accuracy is open to speculation and thus will lead one to darkness !!

Zodiac/soothsayer/foreteller/fortuneteller
-----------------

The zodiac signs may contain nothing. History has proven that no one can know the hidden knowledge except Allah. Marriages deemed to be successfull have breaked up and those deemed to be unfit have survived !!

These are the traits of the ignorant people who have no Iman.

Bukhari Volumn 005, Book 058, Hadith Number 189.
Narated By Sufyan : 'Ubaidullah said: "I heard Ibn 'Abbas saying, "Following are some traits of the people of the pre-Islamic period of ignorance (i) to defame the ancestry of other families, (ii) and to wail over the dead." 'Ubaidullah forgot the third trait. Sufyan said, "They say it (i.e. the third trait) was to believe that rain was caused by the influence of stars (i.e. if a special star appears it will rain)."

Bukhari Volumn 005, Book 059, Hadith Number 468.
Narated By Zaid bin Khalid : We went out with Allah's Apostle in the youar of Al-Hudaibiya. One night it rained and Allah's Apostle led us in the Fajr prayer and (after finishing it), turned to us and said, " Do you know what your Lord has said?" We replied, "Allah and His Apostle know it better." He said, "Allah said: "(Some of) My slaves got up believing in Me, And (some of them) disbelieving in Me. The one who said: We have been given Rain through Allah's Mercy and Allah's Blessing and Allah's Bounty, Then he is a believer in Me, and is a Disbeliever in the star. And whoever said: We have been given rain because of such-and-such star, Then he is a believer in the star, and is a disbeliever in Me."

People earlier used to think that eclipse was a bad omen.

Bukhari Volumn 002, Book 018, Hadith Number 150.
Narated By Abu Bakra : We were with Allah's Apostle when the sun eclipsed. Allah's Apostle stood up dragging his cloak till he entered the Mosque. He led us in a two-Rakat prayer till the sun (eclipse) had cleared. Then the Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, "The sun and the moon do not eclipse because of someone's death. So whenever you see these eclipses pray and invoke (Allah) till the eclipse is over."

Bukhari Volumn 002, Book 018, Hadith Number 151.
Narated By Abu Masud : The Prophet said, "The sun and the moon do not eclipse because of the death of someone from the people but they are two signs amongst the signs of Allah. When you see them stand up and pray."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

rg
Ahmer

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

hijab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3C1WpX3N8

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcl0ZAF6ZU

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOexGJC88U

love affairs & Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xAj7Aeg-w

Riba
http://www.dailymotion.com/islamnatural

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

Islam

Ahmer