Islam/marriage

Question
Assalamu alaikum,

I have question about marriage.

Currently Iím 24 unmarried and want to get married. I have been in-contact with someone for 10 years. He has asked me out a few times in the past. I have liked him on and off since Iíve known him, although we have never been in a relationship and have only really communicated through texts and rarely phone calls.

At the moment he is in another country and isnít back til April. He said he wants a relationship, but respects that I have never done that before and that there would be no physical aspect to it.

We have spoke about marriage and I realised that we are in two different places. When he comes back heís going to need to get a job and we are going to need to meet see if we want to marry each other. Either way he wants to get married in a year or two or maybe even three, til heís in a comfortable job and we get to know each other.

I am in a place where I want to get married, not sure I want to wait for someone who Iím not even sure think will work out.  He has a few bad habits that I really donít like, like drinking occasionally and smoking. He says he will stop them both and has recently stopped drinking because of our discussion.

Neither of us is very religious and I know I should be asking Allah for guidance and probably do an istikhara. I donít want to do the wrong thing and I donít want to hurt him either.

What do you think I should do?

Jazakallah

Answer
ASSALAAMU ALAIKUM WB

Ahamduiaah Presently I am out of the country at an Interfaith Conference Inshaa Allaah - So, I apologize for not being able to answer your question at this time - please forgive me for that Inshaa Allaah-  as soon as I have some availability , I will try to answer your question Inshaa Allaah -however, please do not hesitate to send me a reminder  Inshaa Allaah

In the meantime, please feel free to check out our DAWAH PROGRAMS/LECTURES and KHUTBAHS  on ALHIKMAT TV 24/7 ONLINE - BROADCASTING from FLORIDA USA on WWW.ALHIKMATLIVE.COM  Inshaa Allaah.

ALLAAH KNOWS BEST
WWW.ALHIKMAT.COM
WWW.ALHIKMATTV.COM

Islam

Islamic Scholar