Islam/some clarifications

Question
Dear Sir,
Regarding the Stoning verse, Yes this topic was out of our discussion. Actually I saw in one of your answers regarding it and felt to reply.
Pls. see my answers below:
May I ask you what kind of Muslim you are?
I am a Sunni – Muslim

•   It mentions that good Muslims allegedly have written in the margins of their Quran. Would such a defilement of the Quran not make them going against their beliefs to treat a Holy Book with respect?

In the Quran there are three things:
1.   Verses of the Quran
2.   Down below the verses is the translation of the verse in other languages:
3.   Down below the page or in the corners, is the explanation of the verse:
There is a general consensus among the scholars of Islam to write translation into other languages and explanations of the verses in the corners of the Quran for the non-arabic public. This was not done before. The reason was the non-arabs read Quran in Arabic but could not understand. For their understanding it was necessary to translate in their regional language or teach them all arabic. Teaching Arabic to all was a very big and highly difficult task. The next option ‘translation’ was chosen. However this concept was introduced later after much consultation among the highest scholars. This was what Hazrath Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) was referring to. There is no defilement of the Quran.
•   If the Torah and Injeel were supposedly changed and corrupted, how is it possible that Allah here asks people to inquire of the people of the book who read it? Would that not be very risky since they could tell them things that possibly were changed?
Good questions! This verse is addressing the Non-muslims, through Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) to check with the people of the book (as they were considered to be highly literate those times), regarding the last Prophet who was foretold in the previous scriptures. Even after many changes there were still some quotes left mentioning the prophecies pertaining to Prophet Mohammed which were acknowledged by Abdullah ibn Salam (jew) who converted to Islam later in the life of the Prophet. Bahira, Waraqa ibn noufal who were Christian also acknowledged the Prophet.

•   The hadiths cleary mention that the verse was in the Quran not in the Torah only.
Revelations were brought by angel Gabriel from Allah to Muhammad (pbuh). There are verses relating to the Quran and there are verses called Hadeeth Qudsi which is not relating to Quran. This is from Allah. The others are Hadeeth which are generally called as sayings / acts / silent approvals of the Prophet. All the three things give anything a lawful status. The four Caliphs hazrath Abubakr, Hazrath Umar, Hazrath Osman,Hazrath Ali (may Allah be pleased with them) are called rightly guided caliphs in Islam. There is nothing missing in the Quran. Numerous people over the centuries tried hard, still trying, will try again and again but will not be able to find a single mistake in this holy book to their dismay...

•   Trinity:
The trinity concept is a confusing one. I don’t think God is so confusing or some mystery to be unraveled. Actually i wanted to bring home the point in a logical way.
In contrast see the explanation of God in the Holy Quran:
112. Surah Al-Ikhlaas or At-Tauhid (The Purity)

1. Say (O Muhammad ( )): "He is Allah, (the) One.
2. "Allah-us-Samad (The Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, He neither eats nor drinks).
3. "He begets not, nor was He begotten;
4. "And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him."
•   Would you like to do a free and easy six lesson e-mail study to that end?
         No Sir, Thank you. We have a wealth of information in the Islamic literature

Answer
Dear Shakeel,

Peace to you!

Thanks for your message. About what you wrote regarding writing into the Quran: Could you send me Muslims sources backing up what you said?

Regarding your view of Surah 10:94: Had the author of the Quran wanted to make sure that the reader didn’t think that Muhammad was being addressed here he could have made the address in the plural instead of the singular, i.e. "If any of you are in doubt…" He could have even added the Arabic Qul ("Say") or the words "O mankind", or something of that nature, much like he did several verses later in S. 10:104-106, 108 It would also be interesting to know what Tafsir Tabari say about that verse. Could you find out please?

Regarding the Trinity: Since God is almighty one would expect that there is some element of mystery when it comes to his nature. Here is the account of Muslim background follower of Christ who is a traveling businessman that will share light on the logic of the doctrine:

'In my work I have opportunities to spend time with Muslim families in their homes, maybe only 3 or 5 minutes after I conclude my business. I was challenged to rearrange my message to give them, in that time, something of significance, as it may be the first and last time this side of eternity that they heard the Gospel from a Christian in a way that confronted them with who Jesus was.

Recently, I met one of the leaders of a mosque 10 miles from here and having concluded business sat with him and his wife drinking tea. I remarked on his vast library of religious, philosophical and political books and he asked me what I thought of Islam. I said I had problems with the God of Islam because I could not see how such a God could love me, but that the God of the Bible was of such a nature and I was of such a nature as to make that a possibility both in reality and to satisfy me intellectually too.

They were stunned.

We agreed that love only existed in a meaningful way in a relationship and that a God in whom no relationship could be defined could not be loving. They sat puzzled for a moment and then the wife said, "You better tell us about Jesus then."

Now I was stunned.

I simply said that He was the Word of God manifest in the world and being the Word of God He was the expression of God's love, the expression of God's mercy and salvation and when we died He would be the expression of God's judgment for those who had rejected His claims. It was therefore imperative that we put our trust in Him and accepted the salvation He offered.

They sat in silence until the husband said that I had given them many things to ponder which they had never ever considered before. It all took less than 5 minutes and I really do believe they understood for the first time in their lives what they were missing.

This businessman said just enough to stir within this Muslim couple the desire to get to know the God of love. Once Muslims begin to search the Scriptures, it is often only a matter of time until they grasp the basic truths about God’s absolute holiness, man’s utter sinfulness, and God’s gift of forgiveness, righteousness, and eternal life to all who believe.'

This is why I think you should study the Bible lessons from a Christian perspective. I am sure you would agree that a Christian should learn about Islam from a Muslim. It logically follows then that a Muslim should learn about the Bible from Christians, if only to understand what they believe. Whether he chooses to believe that is a different matter.

On a different note: Is the actual word 'tawhid' declaring the unity of God found in the Quran?

Kind regards,

A. Abraham  

Islam

A. Abraham