Islam/slaughtring d animal for hakeekha

Question
Aasalam alaikum
     My question is can v slaughter a cow as hakeekha... plz snd me d answer

Answer
Walayikkum salaam warahmathullahi Wabarakathuhu

Praise be to Allaah.

The Sunnah is to offer two sheep for a boy and one for a girl, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever has a child born to him and wants to offer a sacrifice on his behalf, let him do so, for a boy two sheep of similar type and for a girl one sheep.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (2842), classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

The majority of scholars are of the view that it is acceptable to offer sheep, camels or cows as ‘aqeeqah, but they differed as to whether they come under the rulings on sacrifices, so is it valid to share a cow or camel.

The most likely view is that it is not correct to share an ‘aqeeqah. This is the view of the Maalikis and Hanbalis.
See: al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (30/279).

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It is not acceptable to share an ‘aqeeqah, so it is not acceptable to offer a camel on behalf of two or a cow on behalf of two, so it is less likely to be acceptable on behalf of three or four. The reason for that is:

Firstly that there is no report of sharing an ‘aqeeqah, and acts of worship are based on following the texts.

Secondly it is a ransom, and a ransom cannot be divided. It is a ransom on behalf of a soul, and if the ransom is on behalf of a soul, it must also be a soul.  

No doubt the first reason is stronger, because if there was a report to indicate that an ‘aqeeqah could be shared, then the second reason would become invalid, so the basis of the ruling is that there is no report to indicate that. End quote.

Based on the Sunnah, majority of scholars agreed that 'aqeeqah is to be a sheep or a goat (two sheep for a boy and one for a girl). That is the opposite case if it was Udhiyah as they stated that camel comes first, then a cow and last is the sheep or goat.

If someone is to slaughter a cow instead of two sheeps for a boy as 'aqeeqah that would be acceptable while taking the conditions of the animal into consideration such as age, sex and overall condition.

If someone is to slaughter a cow it will only be for one baby (boy or girl). Keeping in mind that offering a sheep or a goat is more appropriate and strictly following the Sunnah.

The shar’i evidence indicates that a sheep that has reached the age of six months may count as a sacrifice, as may a goat that has reached the age of one year, a cow that has reached the age of two years, and a camel that has reached the age of five years.  Anything younger than that does not count as a hadiy or udhiyah. This is what the Qur’aan refers to when it says (interpretation of the meaning): “sacrifice a Hady (animal, i.e. a sheep, a cow, or a camel) such as you can afford” [al-Baqarah 2:196], because the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah explain one another. End quote.
http://www.muslimsofcalgary.ca/data.php?s=6&action=5&id=1645

Allah alone knows best

Islam

Sister-Friend in Islam ( Muslimah)

Adimistrator of an Islamic group of more than 5000 members from all over the world. Helping them in various stages of their doubts by seeking and searching authentic answers to help them. I am also a facilitator of Islamic Online University and also running an Islamic page and blog having more that 4000 followers, Alhamndhullilah ! By a teacher by profession I learned psychology and it helps me a lot to understand people and their feelings.

Islamic Online University, and follows all organization which follows Quran and Authentic Hadith .

Voiicenet.com and In a few daily Newspapers ,Expresso stories,

Masters in English with TEFL, Dawah Course from IOU, Research on Islamic Issues and good reading on the same and trying to sort out an answer which is close to authenticity by quoting famous scholars.

Best Teacher Award. Writer, Poet, Got prizes in versification and writing essay ,poems etc

A lot to mention here,both through phone and majority through email.