Islam/Job of Conventional bank !

Question
sir,

I am working as Database Administrator in an IT Division of a conventional bank . Here my job responsibility it to keep
or manage all the banking data through a computer database program .

My question is , is it valid or halal to do such type of job in a conventional bank , or is this salary halal for me ?

If it is haram , then If I don't take any interest from my salary , then is it permissible in islam to do the job in a
conventional bank ?

waiting for your kind reply ... ...

Answer
As Salaam Alaikum!

First of all as Muslims we are commanded in the Koran to wish each other with a Salaam whenever
we come across or write each other.

It is absolutely fine for you to work in any conventional bank and any banks who do not charge
unreasonable intrest rates either on loans or depsoits and if they do so then cannot survive
for long anyway.

Moreover watchdogs of each country's Reserve/Federal Banks keeps a vigile on any wrong doings
or exploitations by the banaks to earn fast money will be checked then and there.

That's the reason why banks are thriving as well as businesses too doing well even through the
banking loans.

What the Almighty Allah prohibits is the usury in the form of heavy interest where a loanee
ends up all his life paying only interest without able to clear the principal and there is
hardly left for his day to day needs. This is prohibited.

Also, prohibited are investments in chit fund companies who come out with tricky schemes by
paying upfront and keeps collecting EMI's, promising doubling of deposits in less than the
commercial bankers time frame and one fine vaishes/day winds up leaving the depositors high
and dry.

On same lines, satisfying luxurious wants & desires through credit cards route paying hefty
interest is haraam, knowing pretty well you will end up not paying the prinicipal at all.

These are the usury we should refrain from and not the banking interest on the savings a/c or
interest from bank deposits that is kept when one retires or is not capable of doing business
for some unavoidable genuine reasons or interest on housing loans or to set up a business if
one can afford or capable of.

Am giving below the verses from the Koran on Usury to be read and analyzed with an open mind
and not with a closed mind with so much of debate on defining usury by the so called learned
experts.

2:275
Those who charge usury are in the same position as those controlled by the devil's influence. This is because they claim that usury is the same as commerce. However, God permits commerce, and prohibits usury. Thus, whoever heeds this commandment from his Lord, and refrains from usury, he may keep his past earnings, and his judgment rests with God. As for those who persist in usury, they incur Hell, wherein they abide forever.

2:276
God condemns usury, and blesses charities. God dislikes every disbeliever, guilty.

2:278
O you who believe, you shall observe God and refrain from all kinds of usury, if you are believers.

3:130
O you who believe, you shall not take usury, compounded over and over. Observe God, that you may succeed.

4:161
And for practicing usury, which was forbidden, and for consuming the people's money illicitly. We have prepared for the disbelievers among them painful retribution.

30:39
The usury that is practiced to increase some people's wealth, does not gain anything at God. But if you give to charity, seeking God's pleasure, these are the ones who receive their reward manifold.

If we misinterpret and misunderstand the verses, then the food grains we eat daily produced
through the toils of the farmers who depends on bank loans to grow paddy & wheat will become
haraam too.

May the Almighty Allah have mercy on us to forgive our sins and guide us all to the true path
of Islam as per the Koran for rest of our life.

Islam

Azam Mohammaed