Islam/CHILDREN'S MAINTENANCE

Question
I am a divorcee with 2 daughters and 1 son. My daughter is 24 and son 22 and my youngest daughter 15.  My ex-husband has stopped giving maintenance for my eldest daughter as she has reached 21 (as in accordance with the civil law).  Recently he gave her S$500 as a gift money but after his daughter was rude to him, he asked for the money back.  My question are :-

1)  Does he have the right to ask for the money back.  He even threatened me and say that it's not halal if I do not return the money.
2)  Up to what age in Islam does the father have to support a daughter?

Answer
Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Assalmalaikum

Dear Brother/Sister,

Bukhari Volumn 002, Book 024, Hadith Number 566.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By 'Abdullah bin 'Umar : Umar bin Al-Khattab gave a horse in charity in Allah's Cause and later he saw it being sold in the market and intended to purchase it. Then he went to the Prophet and asked his permission. The Prophet said, "Do not take back what you have given in charity." For this reason, Ibn 'Umar never purchased the things which he had given in charity, and in case he had purchased something (unknowingly) he would give it in charity again.

Bukhari Volumn 002, Book 024, Hadith Number 567.
Narated By 'Umar : Once I gave a horse in Allah's Cause (in charity) but that person did not take care of it. I intended to buy it, as I thought he would sell it at a low price. So, I asked the Prophet (p.b.u.h) about it. He said, "Neither buy, nor take back your alms which you have given, even if the seller were willing to sell it for one Dirham, for he who takes back his alms is like the one who swallows his own vomit."

child support
-------------

[Quran Talaq 65:5] That is the Command of Allah (God), which He has sent down to you: and if any one fears Allah (God), He will remove his ills, from him, and will enlarge his reward.

[Quran Talaq 65:6] Let the women live (in iddat) in the same style as you live, according to your means: Annoy them not, so as to restrict them. And if they carry (life in their wombs), then spend (your substance) on them until they deliver their burden, and if they suckle your (offspring), give them their recompense, and take mutual counsel together, according to what is just and reasonable. And if you find yourselves in difficulties, let another woman suckle (the child) on the (father's) behalf.

[Quran Talaq 65:7] Let the man of means spend according to his means, and the man whose resources are restricted, let him spend according to what Allah (God) has given him. Allah (God) puts no burden on any person beyond what He has given him. After a difficulty, Allah (God) will soon grant relief.

Bukhari Volumn 003, Book 034, Hadith Number 421.
Narated By 'Aisha : Sad bin Abi Waqqas and 'Abu bin Zam'a quarreled over a boy. Sad said, "O Allah's Apostle! This boy is the son of my brother ('Utba bin Abi Waqqas) who took a promise from me that I would take him as he was his (illegal) son. Look at him and see whom he resembles." 'Abu bin Zam'a said, "O Allah's Apostle! This is my brother and was born on my father's bed from his slave-girl." Allah's Apostle cast a look at the boy and found definite resemblance to 'Utba and then said, "The boy is for you, O 'Abu bin Zam'a. The child goes to the owner of the bed and the adulterer gets nothing but the stones (despair, i.e. to be stoned to death). Then the Prophet said, "O Sauda bint Zama! Screen yourself from this boy." So, Sauda never saw him again.

child custody
-------------

AbuDawud Book 006, Hadith Number 2269.
------------------------------
Narated By Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As : A woman said: Apostle of Allah, my womb is a vessel to this son of mine, my breasts, a water-skin for him, and my lap a guard for him, yet his father has divorced me, and wants to take him away from me. The Apostle of Allah (pbuh) said: You have more right to him as long as you do not marry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

rg
Ahmer

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

hijab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3C1WpX3N8

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcl0ZAF6ZU

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOexGJC88U

love affairs & Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xAj7Aeg-w

Riba
http://www.dailymotion.com/islamnatural

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

Islam

Ahmer