Islam/getting married without parents permission?

Question

My name is hamza and i am 25 years old. I had met a cousin of mine at a wedding about 6 years ago and we started talking at which tine i was studying and was not ready to get married.

Now, 6 years on me and that girl want to get to get married but my parents will just not agree to the marriage. In my view they are taking their cultural views on board far more than their religious ones.

There are some things i should point out to you about this girl which are that she is divorced with one child and that she is more than six years older than me. These are the main things which i think are putting my parents off this relationships but i do know there maybe some hearsay stuff they might have heard about her family but those things are of no concern to me.

As a muslim, if i was to marry her i do not think that any of those things mentioned above would void a lawful marriage. If i am wrong please tell me.

If my parents do not agree to this marriage, then would be any sin on me if still went to a mosque and got married to her? Could you please also tell me, if the girl would need permission off any of her family members even though she is divorced? Please reference to quotes in qur'an and hadeeth where possible

Thanks

Hamza

Answer
As Salaam Alaikum!

As Muslims we are commanded in the Koran to wish each other with a 'Salaam' whenever we come
across or write to each other.

Well, Koran permits a man to marry whomever he desires and if the women accepts his proposal
whether she is a divorcee or single mother or a single Muslim women or women from the previous
scriptures.

However, in your case the final decision is yours and the divorced lady with the child, but
dwwell enough on the age aspects of you both.

She is almost 31 years now and with a child and you are only 25 years and after initial years of marriage period, the difference in the age of both will tell as well as when both of you are
blessed with your own biological child.

As both of you are old and mature enough, in my opinion you should first inform your parents
and try to convince them of your decision since its your own life and then only proceed to
marry.

May the Almighty Allah have mercy on us to forigve our sins and guide us all to the true path
of Islam as per the Koran for rest of our life.  

Islam

Azam Mohammaed