Islam/Some questions about taraweeh?

Question
As-salamualaikum

I have two questions regarding taraweeh prayers.

Firstly, how can I focus on the imam when he is reciting the prayer? Estaghferallah, I sometimes find it hard to focus on what he is saying and when I feel like my mind is going to wander I start saying esteghfar and the duaa to keep the shaitan away in my head until he is done. I know a long-term solution is to read the Holy Book every day until I eventually become familiar with the suraats and ayaats that I can focus on what someone recites. But what can be a short-term/immediate solution as well? I don't want my Taraweeh prayers to be invalidated.

My second question is if I start Taraweeh prayers but don't go every day, will the rest of my taraweeh prayers not be counted? And will I get ithem for not going consistently/ever day?

Shokran jazeelan. May you be blessed for your enlightenment!

Answer
Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Assalmalaikum

Dear Brother,

Extremely sorry for the late reply. Indeed this is a problem faced by almost many individuals including me. But Allah is mercifull and therefore he has appointed an imam and because of our mistakes the salah is not invalidated since the imam is reading the ayats perfectly and his mind never is distracted like us.

The best way to increase the concentration is to read it once prior to the salah. The situation is worse for those who do not understand Arabic. If you know Arabic - your concentration will be much better.

Taraweeh - whatever you pray will be counted. Whatever you left out - it depends upon Allah to give you sawab or not.

[Quran 29:45] Recite (O Prophet Muhammad) what has been revealed to you of the Book (the Quran), and perform As-Salat (5 times prayer). Verily, As-Salat prevents from Al-Fahsha (great sins) and Al-Munkar (disbelief) and the remembering  of (you by) Allah (in front of the angels) is greater indeed.And Allah knows what you do.

[Quran 2:238] Guard strictly your prayers, especially the Middle prayer, and stand before Allah (God) in a devout (frame of mind).

concentration in prayer

Lack of concentration in prayer is a common problem. The following points will inshAllah reduce the problem.

1. Releive yourself of any bodily requirement prior to prayer. If you are hungry, have food 1st, and if you want to goto the toilet, do it or if you are in the middle of some work, finish it and then start your pray.

2. Switch off the mobiles, phone ringers etc that may disturb you in prayer

3. Do not pray in front of mirror or flashy objects that may steal your attention.

4. Before doing wudhu recite " Auzibillahiminashaitanarajeem - bismillahirahmanaraheem "

5. Dont rush to start your prayer, 1st make a niyat, take a deep breath and then softly say "Allah o Akbar" and start.

5. Recite surah fateha and make yourself understand its meanings. Then recite a short surah or if you have enough time then recite a long surah.

6. Once the surah recitation is complete say Allah O Akbar and do ruku. Dont give any gap and immediately in ruku start "Subhan rabiyal Azeem wa be hamdihi" and once you finish immediately get up and recite the next recitations. Please dont give any gap in between all these things otherwise your mind will start deviating and willl get lost in other thoughts.

7. Once salat is complete, dont rush for the next set, instead recite the tasbeeh and do dua to Allah and praise and thanks him for all he has given you.

8. Its best to offer only fardh and less sunnah/nafl in calm and good manner rather to pray a hundred rakaats hurriedly.

9. Spit three times to the left (light spit) in case shaitan has overcome you .

Bukhari Volumn 009, Book 087, Hadith Number 168.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By Abu Salama : I used to see a dream which would make me sick till I heard Abu Qatada saying, "I too, used to see a dream which would make me sick till I heard the Prophet saying, "A good dream is from Allah, so if anyone of you saw a dream which he liked, he should not tell it to anybody except to the one whom he loves, and if he saw a dream which he disliked, then he should seek refuge with Allah from its evil and from the evil of Satan, and spit three times (on his left) and should not tell it to anybody, for it will not harm him."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

rg
Ahmer

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

hijab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3C1WpX3N8

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcl0ZAF6ZU

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOexGJC88U

love affairs & Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xAj7Aeg-w

Riba
http://www.dailymotion.com/islamnatural

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

Islam

Ahmer