Islam/Zakat on GOLD

Assalamu alaikum....I want to know about zakat on gold.alhamdhulillah....I am the mother of two do I pay zakat?can I separate 80 grams for each son which is not calculated in zakat?can I also keep any amount of gold for my own,and pay zakat for remaining gold?
Pls clear my doubt.....
I have my family jewel of about 80 grams.inshallah thinking of giving that to my elder daughter in law.have I to pay zakat for that?

Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Dear Sister,

Zakat has to be paid if the wealth you own exceeds the minimum limit.

Shahih Bukhari Volumn 002, Book 024, Hadith Number 486.
Narated By Abu Huraira (RA) : Allah's Apostle (SAW) said, "Whoever is made wealthier by Allah and does not pay the Zakat of his wealth, then on the Day of Resurrection his wealth will be made like a bald-headed poisonous male snake with two black spots over the eyous. The snake will encircle his neck and bite his cheeks and say, 'I am your wealth, I am your treasure.' " Then the Prophet (SAW) recited the Ayat:

[Quran 3:180] And let not those who covetously withhold of that which Allah has bestowed on them of His Bounty (wealth) think that it is good for them (and so they do not pay the obligatory Zak‚t). Nay, it will be worse for them; the things which they covetously withheld shall be tied to their necks like a collar on the Day of Resurrection. And to Allah belongs the heritage of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is Well ¨Acquainted with all that you do.

[Quran 9:60] As-Sadaqat (Zakaat) are only for the Fuqara (poor), and Al-Masakin (the needy) and those employed to collect (the funds), and to attract the hearts of those who have been inclined (towards Islam), and to free the captives, and for those in debt, and for Allah's Cause (Jihaad etc), and for the wayfarer (a traveller who is cut off from everything), a duty imposed by Allah. And Allah is All-Knower, All-Wise.

[Quran 17:81] And say: "Truth has (now) arrived, and Falsehood perished: for Falsehood is (by its nature) bound to perish."

Zakaat calculations

Zakaat is to be paid on the gold and silver if they exceed the minimum limits.
Limit of gold 87.479 gms
Limit of Silver 607.350 gms

AbuDawud Book 003, Hadith Number 1554.
Narated By AbuSa'id al-Khudri : The Prophet (pbuh) said: There is no zakat payable (on grain or dates) on less than five camel-loads. The wasq (one camel-load) measures sixty sa' in weight.

Bukhari Volumn 002, Book 024, Hadith Number 487.
Narated By Abu Said : Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) said, "No Zakat is due on property mounting to less than five Uqiyas (of silver), and no Zakat is due on less than five camels, and there is no Zakat on less than five Wasqs." (A Wasqs equals 60 Sa's) & (1 Sa=3 K gms App.)

Bukhari Volumn 002, Book 024, Hadith Number 542.
Narated By Abu Huraira : Allah's Apostle said, "There is no Zakat either on a horse or a slave belonging to a Muslim".

AbuDawud Book 003, Hadith Number 1556.
Narated By Imran ibn Husayn : Habib al-Maliki said: A man said to Imran ibn Husayn: AbuNujayd, you narrate to us traditions whose basis we do not find in the Qur'an.

Thereupon, Imran got angry and said to the man: Do you find in the Qur'an that one dirham is due on forty dirhams (as Zakat), and one goat is due on such-and-such number of goats, and one camel will be due on such-and-such number of camels?
He replied: No.
He said: From whom did you take it? You took it from us, from the Apostle of Allah (pbuh).
He mentioned many similar things.

AbuDawud Book 003, Hadith Number 1557.
Narated By Samurah ibn Jundub : The Apostle of Allah (pbuh) used to order us to pay the sadaqah (zakat) on what we prepared for trade.

Muwatta Book 017, Hadith Number 037B.
Section : Fruits, Animal Fodder and Vegetables for which No Zakat has to be Paid.

Malik said, "The sunna that we are all agreed upon here (in Madina) and which I have heard from the people of knowledge, is that there is no zakat on any kind of fresh (soft) fruit, whether it be pomegranates, peaches, figs or anything that is like them or not like them as long as it is fruit."

He continued, "No zakat has to be paid on animal fodder or herbs and vegetables of any kind, and there is no zakat to pay on the price realised on their sale until a year has elapsed over it from the day of sale which counts as the time the owner receives the sum."

Muwatta Book 017, Hadith Number 038.
Section : The Zakat on Slaves, Horses and Honey.

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abdullah ibn Umar from Sulayman ibn Yasar from Irak ibn Malik from Abu Hurayra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "A muslim does not have to pay any zakat on his slave or his horse."

Wealth are adornment for this world only

[Quran 18:46] Wealth and sons are allurements of the life of this world: But the things that endure, good deeds, are best in the sight of your Lord, as rewards, and best as (the foundation for) hopes.

[Quran 3:14] Fair in the eyous of men is the love of things they covet: Women and sons; Heaped-up hoards of gold and silver; horses branded (for blood and excellence); and (wealth of) cattle and well-tilled land. Such are the possessions of this world's life ; but in nearness to Allah (God) is the best of the goals (To return to).

[Quran 3:15] Say: Shall I give you glad tidings of things Far better than those? For the righteous are Gardens in nearness to their Lord, with rivers flowing beneath; therein is their eternal home; with companions pure (and holy); and the good pleasure of G od. For in Allah (God)'s sight are (all) His servants,-

[Quran 3:16] (Namely), those who say: "Our Lord! we have indeed believed: forgive us, then, our sins, and save us from the agony of the Fire;"-

[Quran 3:17] Those who show patience, Firmness and self-control; who are true (in word and deed); who worship devoutly; who spend (in the way of Allah (God)); and who pray for forgiveness in the early hours of the morning.

[Quran 3:18] There is no Allah (God) but He: That is the witness of Allah (God), His angels, and those endued with knowledge, standing firm on justice. There is no Allah (God) but He, the Exalted in Power, the Wise.

[Quran 3:19] The Religion before Allah (God) is Islam (submission to His Will): Nor did the People of the Book dissent therefrom except through envy of each other, after knowledge had come to them. But if any deny the Signs of Allah (God), Allah (God) is swift in calling to account.

wealth should not become more deared than Allah and his messenger

[Quran 9:23] O you who believe! take not for protectors your fathers and your brothers if they love infidelity above Faith: if any of you do so, they do wrong.

[Quran 9:24] Say: If it be that your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your mates, or your kindred; the wealth that you have gained; the commerce in which you fear a decline: or the dwellings in which you delight - are dearer to you than Allah (God), or His Apostle, or the striving in His cause;- then wait until Allah (God) brings about His decision: and Allah (God) guides not the rebellious.

Spending wealth to hinder people away from Islam

[Quran 9:34] O you who believe! there are indeed many among the priests and anchorites, who in Falsehood devour the substance of men and hinder (them) from the way of Allah (God). And there are those who bury gold and silver and spend it not in the way of Allah (God): anno unce unto them a most grievous penalty-

[Quran 9:35] On the Day when heat will be produced out of that (wealth) in the fire of Hell, and with it will be branded their foreheads, their flanks, and their backs, their flanks, and their backs.- "This is the (treasure) which you buried for yourselves: taste you, then, the (treasures) you buried!"

Spendthrift is an act of shaitan

[Quran 17:26] And render to the kindred their due rights, as (also) to those in want, and to the wayfarer: But squander not (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift.

[Quran 17:27] Verily spendthrifts are brothers of the Evil Ones; and the Evil One is to his Lord (himself) ungrateful.

wealth will be useless on the day of judgement

[Quran 26:88] "The Day whereon neither wealth nor sons will avail,

Wealth should be used to earn the Mercy of Allah

[Quran 28:77] "But seek, with the (wealth) which Allah (God) has bestowed on you, the Home of the Hereafter, nor forget your portion in this world: but do thou good, as Allah (God) has been good to you, and seek not (occasions for) mischief in the land: for Allah (God) loves not those who do mischief."

[Quran 28:78] He said: "This has been given to me because of a certain knowledge which I have." Did he not know that Allah (God) had destroyoud, before him, (whole) generations,- which were superior to him in strength and greater in the amount (of riches) they had c ollected? but the wicked are not called (immediately) to account for their sins.

[Quran 92:18] Those who spend their wealth for increase in self-purification,

Wealth can become a fitna

[Quran 34:34] Never did We send a warner to a population, but the wealyour ones among them said: "We believe not in the (Message) with which you have been sent."

[Quran 34:35] They said: "We have more in wealth and in sons, and we cannot be punished."

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation

love affairs & Islam

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

Solutions strictly from the Quran and the authentic Hadiths. ****** website ****** Do pose your questions and see the difference in our answers.

Preaching Islam since childhood, and further gained commanding knowledge of almost every affairs of the religion though authentic books and attending lectures by notable scholars of Islam

Bachelors degree in Commerce, Diploma in Electronics Engg.