Islam/Advice on naming a child

Question
Assalamu Alaikum brother/sister

I pray inshallah this email find you in good health

I would like someone to advice me on naming a child.

My husband and I are inshallah expecting our first child soon. We have been told that it is a boy inshallah

The names we like are Abrahamic but not necessarily in the Quran or in the Hadith.

We love the name Noah (Nuh)

We would like to call him Noah rather than Nuh. Although we want to register him as Noah, he will be called Nuh by family as our parents are more likely to pronounce Nuh better than Noah whereas the western society is likely to pronounce Noah better.  

Having tried to research this on Google there are mixed views as to whether Noah is a valid name in Islam as its of Jewish/Hebrew origin.

I have read that our Prophet PBUH had changed the names of people which may have had a bad meaning such as Jihad meaning "war" to something like Jamila meaning "beautiful".

My question is, can we name our child anything as long as it has a good meaning but not necessarily an Islamic meaning? For instance most cultural names from certain ethnicities of Islam have just good meanings because in their language it means something good. For Instance Usama means "Lion" that's not an Islamic name.

Noah means "peaceful" or "restful" and is a translation of the name of a Prophet in the Quran "Nuh" but the only question is its of Jewish/Hebrew origin. So does it matter and is it any worse than being called Usama which is an Arabic translation of Lion?

My point is that our prophet changed the names to a good meaning therefore can the name be of any cultural or ethnicity as long as it has a good meaning or does it have to be an Islamic name from the Quran or Hadith?

I do understand that giving an Islamic name or an Arabic name gives a cultural and Muslim identity. But a plenty of people with the most powerful Muslim names who unfortunately have lost their path.

It's a dilemma and most say that a Muslim or Arabic name is important for the identity of a Muslim but just how important is that as long as a name has a good meaning

So please advice if it is a good idea to call our son Noah

Jazakallahhu Khayran

Answer
ASSALAAMU ALAIKUM WB

Rather than using NOAH - It is better to use NUH for full barakat and blessings Inshaa Allaah Aameen

Please feel free to check out our DAWAH PROGRAMS/LECTURES and KHUTBAHS  on ALHIKMAT TV 24/7 ONLINE - BROADCASTING from FLORIDA USA on WWW.ALHIKMATLIVE.COM  Inshaa Allaah.

ALLAAH KNOWS BEST
WWW.ALHIKMAT.COM
WWW.ALHIKMATV.COM

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR DAWAH ACTIVITIES BY DONATING TO ALHIKMAT SERVICES INC. @ WWW.ALHIKMAT.COM INSHAA ALLAAH AAMEEN

SOME OF OUR Da’wah Activities are:
*Qur’aan Drive
*Printing of Islamic Publications  
*Al-Hikmat International Muslim Magazine
*Al-Hikmat TV 24/7 Online  
*Radio,TV Programs and Interfaith Activities
*Distribution of Qur’aan, Cd’s, Dvd’s, Pamphlets etc
*Feeding & Clothing the Poor Orphans & Needy
*Al-Hikmat TV 24/7 Online
Al-Hikmat has been serving the Muslim & Non-Muslim community for the past 30 years through the publishing and distribution of Islamic literature and Radio / TV programs plus Interfaith activities. To support our Da’wah activities, please contact Al-Hikmat Office.
INSHAA AAMEEN

Islam

Islamic Scholar