Islam/is touching feet actually haraam?

Question
QUESTION: Good morning sir,

Hope you remember me as I have consulted you quite a few times now I am a hindu girl and non idol worshiper (believe in one god) and I told you how I love a muslim boy and we have decided to marry him but before that I am researching  alot on islam so that i can whole heartedly accept its beliefs.
I really want to know can we not do namastey aur do pranaam by touching feet of our elders. Is it haraam, even though we consider it just a gesture to show respect and there is no way in our heart to make or consider that person equivalent to god?  the person I wish to marry told me Islam doesn't permit namastey as well as pranaam, but since childhood i am following my cultures its very difficult to see an elder in front of me and not touch his/her feet.
it also has scientific significance "According to modern science, a human body contains negative and positive currents of electricity. The left side of the human body carries negative current and the right side of the body has positive current at the time of bowing The vertical body parts in that case are in the opposite direction. The left side of the elder shall be in front of the right side of the disciple. In other words negative in front of positive. Keeping in view of this fact, our Rishis in ancient times have suggested the salute of touching feet by crossing the hands, i.e. right hand touches right foot and left hand touches left foot of our elders. Thus the positive current in both flows in an uniformed circuit and in simulate way negative flows jointly in a circuit. Thus both the currents form a well-unified circuit."
also according to Vedas when you touch the feet of the elders you are acknowledging that you are respecting their knowledge and you will be carrying forward their teachings to the next generation. The vedas also say that the process of learning is incomplete until you start it with touching the feet of the teacher and end it by touching the feet of the teacher.
I fast every monday and offer my devotion to the almighty asking him to guide us on the right path and give his blessings so that we get the strength and sanity to take this relationship on the next level (marriage). its really tough to get our elders consent for this, i know this relation will require a lot of patience sanity maturity and hard work so develop that in me i decided to to get the strength i started offering fasts to the almighty every monday since 2.5 yrs now. After fast people take blessings of elders at home so once when i thought of touching feet of the person i want to marry, he said its not allowed, no one is allowed to bow in front of anyone except god.is it really an offence even if its out of respect and not because i consider him god? also i wanted to know can i do full day nirjalas (no food and water whole day till the next sunrise) and take food the other day i mean not like roza where people have to eat in the evening. is namastey too not allowed?

ANSWER: Apologise for the delay.
Of course I remember you.

The question of touching feet. Its better to hug. Because during hugging your entire body is touching the opposite parts of the other person...so the whole electric energy is better discharged.

Thus Islam offers a better solution.
As of touching feet for your elders....I believe if you can avoid...avoid it...and if not then you can compromise and do it.

Do not worry it will not strip you out of islam. Also the Vedas and other books close to Hinduism are no longer in their original form nor 100% authentic. SO please do not worry that if you are not following the Vedas you are in trouble.

Islam orders everyone one most important thing and that is not to associate worship of God alongwith others...so please avoid this at any cost.

The purpose of fast in islam is to practice self -restraint.

[Quran 2:183] O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you may (learn) self-restraint.

[2:184] (fasting) for a fixed number of days, except if any of you is ill or on a journey (during then) the same (missed) number (should be made up) during other/later days. And as for those who are able to fast but with hardship, they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a poor/needy person. But whoever does good (excess) of his own free-will it is better for him. But to fast is best for you if you only knew.

[2:185] The month of Ramadan in which  the Quran was revealed/sent down as a guidance for mankind and clear proofs/signs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the new moon for) the month let him fast in it and whoever is ill or on a journey the prescribed period (should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you, He does not want to put to difficulties. And (wants) you to complete the period and to magnify Allah for that (to) which he has guided you, and perhaps you will be thankfull.

I know I have not answered your question in full...so please re-ask whats missing.

Regards
ahmer

QUESTION: thank you for the reply sir. I agree with your logic behind hugging instead of touching feet but its not possible to hug every elder especially males...touching feet not only shows regard by bowing down but also is difficult for me to avoid as i have been doing it since years.. but how will i wish my elders of my partner's family? definitely they wont allow me to touch their feet.. :(.
anyways regarding fasting i wasn't asking regarding Ramadan. That i will follow as per Islamic laws but apart from ramadan if i want to fast for my personal reasons or for my husbands well being etc. can I do nirjalas (where we dont eat and drink water till the next sunrise)?

ANSWER: Yes you are right that hugging is not possible with everyone...but then you don't need so much of hugging or feet touching to discharge your electric build up.

So please try to avoid as much as possible...and wherever you cannot, then you have no other option than to touch the feet.

AS for fasting for your husbands well being...well we do not have any such sort of tradition amongst muslims. However Islam does allow you to fast randomly ( besides the fast of Ramazan ) and in a muslims fast you are not allowed to eat or drink from dawn to dusk only. Fast of 24 hours is not permitted and its also very bad for your health. Depriving the body for longer durations can increase the risk of falling sick.

Bukhari Volumn 003, Book 031, Hadith Number 196.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By 'Abdullah bin 'Amr bin Al-'As : Allah's Apostle said to me, "O 'Abdullah! Have I not been informed that you fast during the day and offer prayers all the night." 'Abdullah replied, "Yes, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet said, "Don't do that; fast for few days and then give it up for few days, offer prayers and also sleep at night, as your body has a right on you, and your wife has a right on you, and your guest has a right on you. And it is sufficient for you to fast three days in a month, as the reward of a good deed is multiplied ten times, so it will be like fasting throughout the year." I insisted (on fasting) and so I was given a hard instruction. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have power." The Prophet said, "Fast like the fasting of the Prophet David and do not fast more than that." I said, "How was the fasting of the Prophet of Allah, David?" He said, "Half of the year," (i.e. he used to fast on every alternate day).

Afterwards when 'Abdullah became old, he used to say, "It would have been better for me if I had accepted the permission of the Prophet (which he gave me i.e. to fast only three days a month)."

QUESTION: I am really grateful for all the help and guidance you are providing sir.

Sir can Icelebrate Diwali if i am not worshipping any idols just praying to the almighty...lighting lamps and candles at my home and making rangoli. Because the beauty this festival brings with it makes me really happy and no way I am going to worship idols on this festival.

Is celebrating Rakhi or Diwali prohibited even if we aren't commiting any shirk? Because in festivals like Rakhi there is no pooja of any deity its just the celebration of the strong bond of a brother and sister.

I know its not necessary to celebrate this on a particular day...we can choose any day and celebrate our happiness but sir of-course lightening of lamps on Diwali when other Hindus have also decorated their houses looks much more brighter and happier than doing it any other day. the guy i wish to marry understands all my queries he loves and respects me. he very patiently handles everything but even he gets confused at times as to what can be done and what not so i thought of consulting to a scholar like you. In my view firework as enormous as that of London bridge can be enjoyed on new year celebration only. I completely understand when he says Islam doesn't promote celebrating a date (birthday, christmas, new year) and so if u love fire-show than enjoy it on any day and not a specific day. But my question is if i am not doing any idol worship and am celebrating these festivals just for happiness and fun then is it bad? because we cannot enjoy fireworks as beautiful and enormous like we can see on new year on London bridge so how can we experience the same on any other day??  diwali celebration can never be same on any other day."

Answer
There is no problem as such if you are celebrating Festivals if there is no shirk or if you are not associating anyone with Allah.

Please go ahead and enjoy the festivals but be absolutely aware that you do not get carried away back to your old religion.

Wish you a Very happy Diwali.

Regards
ahmer

Islam

Ahmer