Islam/Breaking Engagement in Islam.

Question
QUESTION: "Assalamu alaikom i am muslim engaged man, i agreed to get engaged with a muslim girl after seeing picture, when i saw her in the engagement i didn't like her. is it a sin to break the Engagement in Islam. will Allah punish me if i break the engagement, please tell me with help of Quran and Hadith. i am confused i think i can't live happy life with that girl. please send me answer of this query on ."

ANSWER: Wallaikum As Salaam!

Why people living in the 21st century behaves or acts like they are into 18th century.

Don't you think it was a mistake on your part not to see the girl in person before agreeing for
engagement. Why do you have to resort to pictures as today with scientific development any one will look different from picture in person.

What's the mistake of the girl that you are contemplating of breaking the engagement, think wisely and ask yourself whether beauty remains for ever.

If you think you are really not liking her physically or in person, then please discuss it with
the girl and express your opinion.

In my opinion, even after discussing with her, take some time to know about her and then take
a call.

Are you an Arab or an Asian Muslim?

The Almighty Allah or the Koran do not impose upon any one with any thing, except guide us
as well as warn us with dire consequences if we go astray despite guidance.

May the Almighty Allah have mercy on us to forgive our sins and guide us all to the true path
of Islam as per the Koran.

QUESTION: is it permissible in Islamic law(shariah) to break the engagement or not if i don't like the girl?

Answer
As Salaam Alaikum!

As Muslims we are commanded in the Koran to wish each other with a salaam while writing or
whenever we come across each other.

If it's deliberate breaking of the engagement, then it is not allowed, however out of ignorance
& out of foolishness like in your case, the Almighty Allah may forgive your ignorance as well
as follishness for not seeing the girl in person before engagement.

But how would you compensate the girl for your ignorance & follishness as she is grieved for
no fault of hers, so you have to seek forgiveness from her too explaining reasons sincerely.

of Islam as per the Koran for rest of our life.

Islam

Azam Mohammaed