Islam/Marriage

Question
Assalamalaikum. I am a muslim woman and recently my parents engaged me to my cousin. He was born in a muslim family but he is very far away from islam. my parents agreed to the proposal thinking that as I am a hafizah and I have been brought up in an Islamic Environment and home Alhumdulillah, that I would be able to bring that family closer to islam aswell. After my Engagement I have realised that the boy does not Believe in islam at all and not only that but he is against islam and does not even believe in ALLAH. just because he was born in a muslim family does not make him a muslim at all. He is a very strong non believer and he plans to not let me Practice my religion after marraige and also stop me from taking my hijab. can I , according to islamic law, marry this man ?

Answer
Wallaikum As Salaam!

Astakhfirullah!

No you cannot marry him for 2 reasons.

Even before marriage he's showing that he will oppress your freedom by not allowing to practice
Islam.

Secondly, if a person is exercising his authority and thrusting his opinion over his spouse on
personal things especially religion, then you can imagine what's in store for you with such a
person in your married life in future.

Decline and refuse to marry him by breaking the engagement that will prove Islam treats both
spouses equally.

May the Almighty Allah have mercy on us to forgive our sins and guide us all to the true path of
Islam as per the Koran for rest of our life.

Islam

Azam Mohammaed