Islam/Marriage with Step Sister.

Question
QUESTION: Assalam-o-Alaikum Sir,

Hope you are fine by the grace of ALMIGHTY. I want to clear my confusion.

One of my friend married his step sister who has not shared the milk of her mother. I was astonished to know when I heard this from him. Is this legal as per Shariah. If not, then what are the circumstances in which it will stand legal.

Wsalam...

Jahanzaib Bhatti

ANSWER: Asslam-O-Alaikum,
ALHUMDULLIAH, I am alright by the Grace of ALLAH (S.W.T). To give appropriate answer I request you to kindly let me know  to whether the father of the brother and sister is same person though according to you mother is different.
Wassalams,
Md>zia-ul-Haque

QUESTION: Sir,

Father is same but their mothers are different and they haven't shared the milk of their mothers too.

Regards

Jahanzaib Bhatti

Answer
Dear Brother,
Assalam-O-Alaikum,
Thanks for asking for clarification.
According to the Sharî‘ah, a brother is one whose mother and father is the same, or they have one father but two mothers, or one mother but two fathers. They are all brothers. But if the father is different, and the mother is also different; that person will not be a brother. Nikâh with him will be valid. As your friend has married to the daughter his own father therefore they are brother and sister even the though mother is different and the girl(sister) is Mahram.The marriage is therefore not valid.
Wassalams,
Md.Zia-ul-Haque  

Islam

Mufti Md.Zia-ul-Haque,Alim & Advocate