Islam/questions

Question
Does a person like Osama bin Laden have the authority to declare war?

Answer
Assalam-O-Alaikum,
BISMILLAHER RAHMAN-O-RAHIM,
Islam places a great emphasis on order in its political philosophy. Anarchy and arbitrary acts are greatly condemned. Basic principles relating to war are buttressed by these twin considerations. Islam teaches in the Qur'an: "Believers, obey God, and obey the messenger, and those with authority among you." (Qur'an, Chapter 4:59). Qur'anic commentators mention that the term “those in authority among you” means legitimate political authorities and scholars. This means that only legitimate political authorities can declare war. In their absence, Muslim scholars who are universally recognized for their scholarship and piety can declare war; these are the only people who can rightfully make this call. Since Osama bin Laden was neither a scholar nor a government leader, he lacked the authority to call for war.
Wassalams,
Md.Zia-ul-Haque

Islam

Mufti Md.Zia-ul-Haque,Alim & Advocate