Islam/questions

Question
How does the Taliban's practice of Islam compare with mainstream Islam?

Answer
Assalam-O-Alaikum,
BISMILLAHER RAHMAN-O-RAHIM,
The Taliban’s interpretation and practice of Islam reflects a very narrow and inflexible interpretation that is defined more by tribal culture exacerbated by war than authentic Islamic scholarship. This cultural context impacts their views and attitudes in many areas, but mainly in their views and interpretations relating to women. They have been universally criticized by other Muslims for their treatment of women—specifically for their ban on women’s education and work—their strict dress requirements for both genders, and their harsh punishments for violations of their laws. They have also interpreted Shariah to ban a wide variety of activities including education and sports for women, kite flying, beard trimming, recreation, entertainment, and other matters where they have a much more rigid and extreme interpretation than mainstream Muslims.

Additionally, some members of the Taliban have engaged in activities, such as violence against civilians, which Islam prohibits.
Wassalams,
Md.Zia-ul-Haque

Islam

Mufti Md.Zia-ul-Haque,Alim & Advocate