Dear Imam Habeeb,

We are doing an research about ethics for school. We are from Holland and we are in our final year of grammer school. We are doing our research about the sexual relationship between a teacher and his student. For this research we have to compare two different religions and their view about this relationship.
In such a relationship there are two main feelings, that is duty and love. Duty for the teacher to do his job correct, but sometimes the relationship is real love and do we have to forbid this?
Because of your expertise we would like to ask you some questions.

1. What is more important, the duty that the teacher has to educate his student without interferance of a sexual relationship or the love between two people?

2. What is written about this relationship in the Koran?

3. How do muslims see this relationship?

4. Is their a specific vision about this relationship in the Islam?

5. What is your vision about this relationship?

We thank you for reading our mail and we hope to hear from you soon.

Yours sincerly,

Hui Lin Zhang
Elza van Vugt

Duty is more important than love when there is a conflict.
The Quran forbids a sexual relationship that is outside matrimony.
One can marry ones teacher once they are of age of consent according to the laws of the country.

Falling in love with ones teacher and doing ones duty out of love is not impossible and when this happens both parties should seek matrimony as the lawful way out.
Otherwise separation is best.

Imam Habeeb

Being an Educator of Islamic Studies and Interfaith discussions for the past 25 years and having authored seventeen books and numerous articles on Islam - I think I can answer questions on Islam and other religions and issues of the Hanafi jurisprudence as well as general questions on Quran and Sharia. Love, sex and marital problems are some such topics! This is an independent volunteering service and not under any organizational banner that I may be affiliated with. My book- Intimacy and the Sacred talks about Sex and Muslims.

I have helped thousands of people who are troubled both in life experiences and lack of proper Islamic knowledge.

Latest book Five White Roses and A Red a book of Poetry dedicated to my mother.

Muslims and Non Muslims. I love Interfaith activities.
Youths and issues of generational gap are my areas too. Families under stress.