Islam/health insurance (Obama Care) in US

Answers in accordance with Hanafi fiqh is preferred.
1) Under recent health care act (ObamaCare), a person needs to pay fine ($95 in first year, $325 in 2nd year) if he doesn't have health insurance. Is it permissible to take health insurance in US under these circumstances? (note: In first year, the fine is usually less than insurance amount)  
2) Can Muslims get exemption from ObamaCare as Islam is against insurance? Certain religious sect (like Amish) can get exemption because of religious reason.

Insurance is allowed and in this case necessary. If anything Islam is against gambling and worse yet gambling with your life but in this case you follow the requirement of the law of the land. This is a wonderful way like takaful to help those who cannot afford their medical bills.

Imam Habeeb

Being an Educator of Islamic Studies and Interfaith discussions for the past 25 years and having authored seventeen books and numerous articles on Islam - I think I can answer questions on Islam and other religions and issues of the Hanafi jurisprudence as well as general questions on Quran and Sharia. Love, sex and marital problems are some such topics! This is an independent volunteering service and not under any organizational banner that I may be affiliated with. My book- Intimacy and the Sacred talks about Sex and Muslims.

I have helped thousands of people who are troubled both in life experiences and lack of proper Islamic knowledge.

Latest book Five White Roses and A Red a book of Poetry dedicated to my mother.

Muslims and Non Muslims. I love Interfaith activities.
Youths and issues of generational gap are my areas too. Families under stress.