QUESTION: I got into an argument with my father, and i called him a munafiq, when I called him that I didn't mean to label him as a person who calls people to the Deen, and is a disbeliever,  I meant it as he tells me to not do an action, yet he himself does that action, which is hypocrisy. My intention was to call him a munafiq of action, not a disbeliever. Does this take me out of the deen? If it does, what must I do to get back in?

ANSWER: Assalam-o-Alaikum
Bismillaher Rahman Rahim
At first you must request your father to forgive you and then pray to Allah also to forgive your sin. Though you have called your father not knowing the meaning of Munafiq. Now the question is who is a munafiq. According Islam the answere is follows:

In Islam, a munāfiq (n., in Arabic: منافق, plural munāfiqūn) is a hypocrite who outwardly practices Islam while inwardly concealing his disbelief (kufr), perhaps even unknowingly.[citation needed] The hypocrisy itself is called nifaq ( Arabic: نفاق‎).

The Quran has hundreds of ayat (verses) discussing munāfiqūn, referring to them as more dangerous to Muslims than the worst non-Muslim enemies of Islam.

According to Sahih al-Bukhari,

Narrated Abu Hurairah:

The Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said, "The signs of a hypocrite are three:

1. Whenever he speaks, he tells a lie.
2. Whenever he promises, he always breaks it (his promise).

3. If you trust him, he proves to be dishonest. (If you keep something as a trust with him, he will not return it."
—Sahih al-Bukhari
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr:

The Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said, "Whoever has the following four (characteristics) will be a pure hypocrite and whoever has one of the following four characteristics will have one characteristic of hypocrisy unless and until he gives it up.

1. Whenever he is entrusted, he betrays.
2. Whenever he speaks, he tells a lie.
3. Whenever he makes a covenant, he proves treacherous.

4. Whenever he quarrels, he behaves in a very imprudent, evil and insulting manner."
—Sahih al-Bukhari

But no denying the fact it is being agitated you have called your father as munafiq. So you are required to pray to Allah to forgive your sin.
Please feel free to ask for any clarification in the matter.

QUESTION: I called him that when he was in a different room, so he didn't hear me. Do I still have to tell him that I called him that? I'm afraid if I tell him he might get sad with me.

If you are sure and certain without an iota of doubt that your father has not heard you calling him a munafiq and that if he knows that he will be sad and hurt if he knows that you have him a munafiq then you are not required beg apology from but ALMIGHTY ALLAH IS ALL KNOWING ALL HEARING and therefore you must repent from the core of your heart and to Pray to HIM to forgive you/your sin.

Mufti Md.Zia-ul-Haque,Alim & Advocate

By the Grace of Almighty Allah,being the only person in the world who is qualified Moulvi(Passed the Alim Examination Conducted By Madrasa Education Board) with Degrees in Science and Law I am,MASHALLAH,able to answer any question on Islamic Religion.That apart,I was in charge of Legal,Calcutta Office of Custodian of Enemy,Govt of India and Export Inspection Agency,Calcuuta, Ministry of Commerce,Govt of India from where I have retired on 31.3.2010,It is also therefore possible for me to answer questions on Indian Civil Law and Service Matters. Md.Zia-ul-Haque,B.Sc,LLB,Alim(Cal) Alim & Advocate Md,Zia-ul-Haque,B.Sc, LLB,Alim(Cal) Alim & Advocate

Stated in the above field.

Stated above

1. Quran-o-Hadis-er Aloke Pita-o-Matar Martoba (Bengali) 2. Milad Sharif (Transliterated to Bengali) 3. Shaheed-e-Karbala(Bengali) 4. Hazarat Maula Ali Muishkil Kusha -o- Papi Mabiya -o- Duschoroitro Taslima Nasrin(Bengali) 5. Ahl-e-Bayt Pak (AS) -o- Jahannami Mua'wiyah-o-Yazid (Bengali)

B.Sc, LLB, Alim(Cal)