Islam/Music

Question
As'Salaam'o'Aliekum brother. I am studying music as I hope to become a successful composer and song writer one day Insha'Allah. Islamic scholars are at debate whether music is halal or haram but I personally think it is haram. My question to you is that brother I pray 5 times a day, I never lie and if I commit a sin I sincerely ask Allah for forgiveness Al-Humduli'llah. Will my good deeds cross out the wrong things that I am doing , i.e., studying music? I hope to even sing good songs one day Insha'Allah. Brother I have nothing else to do nor do I have interest in anything else. Will in my case forgiveness be given to me? Jazak'allah.

Answer
Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Assalmalaikum

Dear Brother,

Sorry its a strong controversial topic. Kindly go through the below article and decide by yourself.

Shahih Bukhari Volumn 003, Book 034, Hadith Number267
-----------------------------------------------------
Narated By An-Nu'man bin Bashir : The Prophet  (SAW) said "Both legal and illegal things are obvious, and in between them are (suspicious) doubtful matters. So who-ever forsakes those doubtful things lest he may commit a sin, will definitely avoid what is clearly illegal; and who-ever indulges in these (suspicious) doubtful things bravely, is likely to commit what is clearly illegal. Sins are Allah's Hima (i.e. private pasture) and whoever pastures (his sheep) near it, is likely to get in it at any moment."

Music
-----
[Quran 31:6] “And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…”

[Quran 6:112] Likewise did We appointed for every Messenger/prophet an enemy,- evil ones (shayateen) among men and jinns, inspiring each other with adorned speech as a delusion (deception). If your Lord had so willed, they would not have done it, so leave them alone with their fabrications.

[Quran 26:221] Shall I inform you (O people!) upon whom the Shayâtin (devils) descend?

[Quran 26:222] They descend on every lying (one who tells lies), sinful person.

[Quran 26:223] Who gives ear (to the devils and they pour what they may have heard of the unseen from the angels), and most of them are liars.

[Baqara 2:204] There is the type of man whose speech about this world's life May dazzle you, and he calls Allah/God to witness about what is in his heart; yet is he the most contentious of enemies.

[Baqara 2:205] When he turns his back, His aim everywhere is to spread mischief through the earth and destroy crops and cattle. But Allah/God loveth not mischief.

[Baqara 2:206] When it is said to him, "Fear Allah/God", He is led by arrogance to (more) crime. Enough for him is Hell;-An evil bed indeed (To lie on)!

[Baqara 2:207] And there is the type of man who gives his life to earn the pleasure of Allah/God: And Allah/God is full of kindness to (His) devotees.

[Baqara 2:208] O you who believe! Enter into Islam whole-heartedly; and follow not the footsteps of the evil one; for he is to you an avowed enemy.

[Baqara 2:209] If you backslide after the clear (Signs) have come to you, then know that Allah/God is Exalted in Power, Wise.

[Quran 17:53] And say to My slaves that they should (only) say those words that are the best. (Because) Shaitan (Satan) verily, sows disagreements among them. Surely, Shaitan (Satan) is to man an open enemy.

[Quran 17:61] Behold! We said to the angels: "Bow down unto Adam": they bowed down except Iblis: he said: "Shall I bow down to one whom Thou didst create from clay?"

[Quran 17:62] He said: "Seest Thou? This is the one whom Thou hast honoured above me! If Thou wilt but respite me to the Day of Judgment, I will surely bring his descendants under my sway, all but a few!"

[Quran 17:63] (Allah) said: "Go your way; if any of them follow you, verily Hell will be the recompense of you (all) - an ample recompense.

[Quran 17:64] "Lead to destruction those whom thou canst among them, with your (seductive) voice, make assaults on them with your cavalry and your infantry; mutually share with them wealth and children; and make promises to them. "But Satan promises them nothing but deceit.

[Quran 17:65] "As for My servants, no authority shalt thou have over them: "Enough is your Lord for a Disposer of affairs.

[Quran 7:201] Verily, those who have Taqwa, when an evil thought comes to them from Shaytan, they remember (Allah), and (indeed) they then see (aright).

[Quran 7:202] But (as for) their brothers (the devils' brothers) they (the devils) plunge them deeper into error, and they never stop short.

[Quran 23:1] The believers must (eventually) win through.
[Quran 23:2] Those who humble themselves in their prayers.
[Quran 23:3] Who avoid vain talk.
[Quran 23:4] Who are active in deeds of charity.
[Quran 23:5] Who abstain from sex.
[Quran 23:6] Except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess, for (in their case) they are free from blame.

Shahih Bukhari Vol 5, Book 58. Hadith 268.
-----------------------------------------
Narrated By 'Aisha : That once Abu Bakr came to her on the day of 'Id-ul-Fitr or 'Id-ul-Adha while the Prophet was with her and there were two girl singers with her, singing songs of the Ansar about the day of Buath. Abu Bakr said twice. "Musical instrument of Satan!" But the Prophet said, "Leave them Abu Bakr, for every nation has an 'Id (i.e. festival) and this day is our 'Id."

Shahih Bukhari Vol 7, Book 69. Drinks. Hadith 494B.
--------------------------------------------------
Narrated By Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari : That he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

AbuDawud Book 036, Hadith Number 4909.
------------------------------
Narated By Abdullah ibn Mas'ud : Salam ibn Miskin, quoting an old man who witnessed AbuWa'il in a wedding feast, said: They began to play, amuse and sing. He united the support of his hand round his knees that were drawn up, and said: I heard Abdullah (ibn Mas'ud) say: I heard the apostle of Allah (pbuh) say: Singing produces hypocrisy in the heart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

rg
Ahmer

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

hijab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3C1WpX3N8

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcl0ZAF6ZU

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOexGJC88U

love affairs & Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xAj7Aeg-w

Riba
http://www.dailymotion.com/islamnatural

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

Islam

Ahmer